'HP' is for 'Head Pirate'!!! - HEAVY ON THE PICS!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alk509

So a couple of weeks ago, I got a box full o' parts from Captain Jenrick, Head Pirate and coil winder extraordinaire. After a minor setback in the building process, today I finally got a chance to put these puppies together, so I took some pictures and documented the assembly process for your viewing pleasure. I know Chris did a similar page, so this is a little redundant, but what the heck... Enjoy!

'HP2503' ASSEMBLY:

It all started as a bunch of parts:

HP2503-Parts.jpg

First I took the wires coming out the coil and burnt some of the varnish off the ends:

HP2503-Burn.jpg

Then I cut the leads to length and twisted the wire around each one:

HP2503-Twirly.jpg

I soldered everything...

HP2503-Soldered.jpg

... and I taped things in place and bent the leads to create a strain relief of sorts:

HP2503-Strain.jpg

Some tape holds everything in place:

HP2503-Tape1.jpg

Then I took a long piece of tape...

HP2503-Tape2.jpg

... and wrapped the coil with it. Coil is done!

HP2503-Tape3.jpg

Put in the E lams:

HP2503-Elam.jpg

Put in the I lams:

HP2503-Ilam.jpg

After banging everything with a hammer to make it nice and tight, I slipped the core in the U-frame, held the whole assembly in a vise, and banged the tabs down to hold the whole thing together:

HP2503-Vise.jpg

Ta-daaa!

HP2503-Ta-dah.jpg

Special thanks to Chris for all his efforts!!! :thumb: :sam:

Now I gotta hook them up and try them out on something...

Peace,
Al.

Cool, almost done!. The final step is sending them to my address. :razz:

Seriously though, where are those going to go?

Miko,

I have way too much crap on my bench: a couple of mics that I haven't had time to get working, a bunch of preamps, a VCA compressor... I got ten channels worth of P66's that have been sitting on my bench for literally over a year waiting for gain switches and output transformers. Now I only need to get the switches :thumb:.

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="dukasound"]Hi!
How much can be parts (kit) for one or two transformer and where to find?
I need a pair!
Thanks
Duka[/quote]

ditto on this...

Here is my beauty!!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

cj4x75trafo.jpg

cj... YOUR THE GREATEST :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb::thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb::thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Now I can finish my Fabio 312!!!!

I'll let you all know how they sound when I get them done.
Just ordered my grayhills and input trafos today.

GARY

I found a company that makes adhesive backed copper foil:

http://www.chomerics.com/

specifically:

http://www.chomerics.com/products/documents/tb202.pdf

I believe p/n CCH-36-101-0100 would wrap around the 2503 nicely.

I have yet to do tests on the merits of the copper foil. It might just be for cross talk between channels, it might be some type of capacitive tweak to balance coil/core capacitance.

cj

its not be stupid :grin:
Keep all your lams facing the same way. There is always a little burr on one side, and you should try to keep these burrs facing the same way so you get a neat stack
I did it :!:
Only I am thinking about two solution:
First- to build like original Api style transformer with copper foil
Second- with U bracket
Duka

yeah! good job duka! :thumb: :guinness:
i guess the only reason you would need the channel mount (U bracket) would be to mount the xfrmr off the pcb and on the chassis.
if you're mounting on the pcb then use the nice copper foil.
king regards,
grant

Latest posts

Back