lollypop capsule inspection/ dissection

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetsen

I can't find the thread describing the dissection of a M7 lollypop capsule.

I have searched for the last two hours.

Anyone know what keywords to search for?

Vetsen

Perhaps there are not many people dissecting M7 lollipops on this board... :wink:
I don't even have one, but you can send it to me and i will dissect it...
:grin:

JUST A JOKE.

If nobody can answer this here or finds time to do this soon, i would try it over at http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ at klaus heyne's place.
I didn't find a thread on this subject either...

Kind regards

Martin

(No, CJ. Stay away from capsules. Transformers only! :twisted: )

This kind of the opposite:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=8013

Documents the cloning and eventual group buy of M7 capsules...

:guinness:

I've got some photos of the M7 and M....9?

They are open showing the parts etc.

Would you like me to post them?

m7internal4ng.jpg

Hey thats my M7!
Aint she bewdiful :grin:

All you have to do to get it open is loosen the grub screw thats just behind and a little above the Neumann logo, then gently twist the head and pull it away from the shaft. Then you undo the screw on the top of the head and the front half should come off. Sometimes this screw is covered with putty, just scrape it away.

The only thing youve gotta watch is to make sure the copper shim that fits between the head and shaft goes back in flat when you put it all back together. If it doesnt it will short the capsule out and youll get no sound.

Also, if you want to make it omni, simply join the two metal tags that come from the front and back sides of the element. I joined them with a reed switch so I can switch it to omni by sticking a little rare earth magnet on the grill...but I think theres a thread about that already.

M

[quote author="mattmoogus"]Hey thats my M7!
Aint she bewdiful :grin:
[/quote]

Hahah. Better make sure it's still in your mic cabinet. :razz:

Sorry I forgot whos photo it was - thanks again.

Ok, Thanks for the help.

Now I have more questions.

It looks like my capsule isn't in that great of shape. Should I have it re skinned?

2.jpg

Is this a PVC capsule, and should I not attempt to clean it?

Vetsen

what does the other side look like?

The dirt can be cleaned off not a big deal. You do have to know how to clean it. If you want to clean it yourself I would learn on china capsules and capsules that are beyond cleaning. I bought a few china microphones and worked on some bad real k67 capsules that had missing gold to learn how to clean them. You might wreck a few capsules before you learn how to clean them

I am more interested in what looks like a bump under the skin on the right side of the picture. Another thing is the missing gold at the center, if one part can touch the contact it should still work

Here is the other side. It isn't an M7. Anyone guess what model it is?

1.jpg

I wanted that "bump" to be visible. It took me a couple of trys to get it to show.

:shock:
It sure isnt. Its and M8 and its fked.
Id say get it reskinned except M8s sound pretty crap even when good so probably best not to bother. Was it sold to you as an M7?
I have one, it sounded useless so I tried to block the back holes with tape to make it more cardioid. Now it just sounds duller, which is kinda useful, but still nothing more than a special effects capsule.

M

Latest posts

Back