My New LA2A Remind you of anything??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Here's a new/old look for a LA2A, remind you of anything?

DSCN3631.jpg

DSCN3627.jpg

DSCN3634.jpg

DSCN3625.jpg

Drip V2.0 LA2A

With a FAirchild look. Simpson meter and General Radio knobs.
Also I am using a UTC A-24 reversed for input and a Triad HS-52 on the output.

Passing audio, still needs more testing.

-ChuckD

Chuck,
such a nice piece of gear, congratulations. Love the VU meters and the Pultec (?) knobs. Plans for my dual LA2a going into the same direction, but frontpanel might be too small for four knobs of that size. Is the Simpson meter an old one or can you still buy those meters?
best regards
Bernd

I have very similar meter from 1942. Looks like meters from old Altecs. Really need to do something like this with it...

Congratulations!

Miha

No it's an orginal Simpson meter that I got from a collector who passed away here in LA. He had a bunch of Iron I got too. As well as this meter and a few more.

The knobs and meter I think are the same as the orginal Fairchild or very close to it. I got the knobs from ebay. I find searching the Ham Radio section to be much better for this type of thing then the pro audio / music sections of ebay.

Here's the inspiration :

Fairchild.jpg

-ChuckD

Initial Results after listening:

1) No Noise what so ever. Very quiet unit.

2) I may have a little too much gain. I think I could use this as a preamp!! Maybe I should add +48V mode on the input XLR.

3) I think my limit compress switch is backwards. Seems harsher in the compressor mode.

4) One problem my meter doesn't move in +4 setting! Works great on The GR setting but nothing on the other. Ideas??

Really sounding good on vocals and bass!

-ChuckD

-ChuckD

Hey Chuck

1) Good! :thumb:
2) This is normal... My gain NEVER goes higher than 10:00 or 1/4 (or so) turn.
I'm even using a 10k:10k input tranny.
3) ?
4) ?
Also is there a manual for adjusting the the two pots on the back?

If I remember correctly, they should be turned ALL the way to one side... I'll check mine now & get back to you.

OK... my control pots on the back are FULLY CLOCKWISE.

Note: They are used when hooking 2 units together.
This info should be in the manual.

This is my first post and I can´t say anything but beautiful

When I grow up I´ll build one

I am beginning with a gssl :roll:

I found out why my +4 mode does not work. Looking at the board and schematic I see that the +4 is a direct tap post output transformer. Since I used an off- coard transformer I need to reconnect that output for a signal to appear there.

-ChuckD

Back