GSSL500 pcb

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ioaudio

not tested, pcb still needs some work/markings.

gssl500pcb.JPG

normal_gssl500front.JPG

-max

Max.. You suck :green:

I was going to start on one of those right now. You beat me to it.

3nity - It is mono..

Since you are almost done, here are some ideas:

1 - I'd completely ditch the DBX202xx footprint altogether, since mostly everyone is just using the THAT chips anyways.

2 - Maybe use the four 2181 design (preference on this one)

3 - See if you can borrow the circuit from the "20 seg - pico comp meter"

4 - I'd make so you have a 1/4" jack on the front for linking the side chain between multiple units. I'm not sure what you are doing about the linking function there.

I had some other ideas, but can't remember now.

take care
Gil

Nice work... a couple of things

I also vote to leave the 202 spot there. There is a big difference between the real 202 and the emulated circuit. Personally, I prefer the 202.

Also, the ratio markings are set up to look like an expander, in case you overlooked it.

Does the attack switch only have 5 positions?

The front panel, as is, would be very difficult to document. You may want to consider using some indicator lines for the knobs to make this easier.

thanks for your nice words.

rochey,

i just had to start learning how to make my own pcbs - in fact i bought the software right after i requested the small pcbs from you!
this is the "photoview" from sprint layout. sprint is a bit strange, but it has some certain kind of flow (zooming with the mouse wheel yeah) and its fun to work with.
didnt think about metal work and stuff yet, but if there´s enough interest group buys could be organized - for frontpanels and the metal braket.

the units should be linkable via jack on the frontpanel - it´s more a space/layout issue - need to find a small proper jack/cable. also bussing the sidechains of a couple of units for 5.1 surround would be an option. oxford and aarhus mode possible, propably also switchable on front.

the frontpanel "layout" is put together hastily only to show that its possible.
leds go between the pcb and metal braket.
also a 2-slot unit for stereo operation is possible, omitting the second controls & some parts could save a few bucks.

this project should be cheap & easy to build, especially folks who are afraid of mains voltages can now build their own handy mixcomp (or two).

i hope gustav can make&sell the pcbs (if you read this please let me know) since i dont wanna make profit from this one.

-max

ok it seems gustav is willing to do the pcbs.

here is a high res pic from the pcb, please take a look and report errors.
setup costs for protos are high, so it would be fine if it works from the beginning.

-max

[quote author="BR"]
2 - Maybe use the four 2181 design (preference on this one)
[/quote]

How about using this new 2162 dual instead of 218x's:

http://www.thatcorp.com/2162_Dual_Blackmer_IC_Voltage-Controlled_Amplifier.html

Well, someone could also design a DBX202xx clone using those new parts (2162 SMD), for pricing see http://www.profusionplc.com/pro/gex/pcatdtl0?ipartno=THAT2162Q16-U

(the 5x 2162's needed for a 202XT clone would cost ~ 20 EUR).

The performance of the 2162 Dual VCA is not as good as the 218X series. Yes, it is less expensive, but you might as well just go with 2180's.

Cheers,
Zach

[quote author="buschfsu"]im in as long as metal work is also included. cant go in the rack without it![/quote]

I've been searching for info on the metal work, but can't seem to find it.

Anyone got some links, and what specifically is needed.

Latest posts

Back