My 2nd GSSL done! (*Yawn!*)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Girard

Hello everyone,

It's not like it's never been seen before...  But we're here to show off our work no? :D  Here's my 2nd GSSL finished.  It took me two years to complete because of a major case of lazyness.  But I'm still proud of it!  Here's the shots->

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I wanted an "industrial" GSSL look...  It kinda worked.  I just need bigger knobs to hide the big buts from the grayhill switches...  Will be done in the next 2 years! ;)

Feel free to comment or flame...

Marc Girard
www.marcgirard.com

One more thing!  Laser Engraving is a revelation to me!  It doesn't show on the photos but the face plate is a design I made in Illustrator.

3nity said:
Where did you get the case? is it parmetal engraving and cases?
Looks nice.

Thanks!  I got the case from Par-Metal, I ordered it "Gray/Silver face plate".  Once I got it, I realized that it couldn't be engraved using laser machine because they work by removing the black anodized pelicule that's on the aluminum.  So, I ordered a new black plate from Par-Metal.

The engraving was done at a local trophee shop, here in Montreal, very nice guys!  I just gave him my Illustrator file and it took like 3 minutes to do the actual job.  Looks very pro and the cost is awesome.

OK fellows, here's a few shots from the construction stages.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Here's an old shot of my VCAs that I used (not the cans, the ones to the right, as you can see, they're 100% real SSL VCAs). 

VCAs.jpg

Might use those cans in another SSL clone...  Who knows!  The original SSL VCAs sound a little smoother to me, not as grainy as Jakob's emulation (and for drums, frankly, I prefered Jakob's!).  I still got to run it on a mix buss to see how the thing reacts.

And for those who would like to see the full stages of a GSSL, there'a always my good old site:  http://oxygene.dyndns.org:8080/ssl

Thanks for watching!

PS: Someone tell Jakob to update the link on the GSSL page, my old host "dynip" ain't no more!  Cheers!

What if someone make the reverse engineering on theese original SSL VCAs??  :p

The new DBX202 emulation circuit ;D

Very nice Build!

Latest posts

Back