Connectors for valve preamp power supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyB

Im wanting to know what is a good/safe type of connector to use with valve preamp equipment. These are to connect external power supply into 19" rack units. Typical values - say heaters up to 5A, HT - 350V@ 250mA, maybe other (relay supply) etc. PSU located between 1 and 2 metres from rack.

Any typical/standard connector type used for this application? - it will be virtually permanent install, with occasional need to travel.

Thanks in advance :)

I've used Neutrik two & four pole locking connectors to good effect in the past.In the speakon group or something.
Armoured cable is nice too.Good if you've got curious clumsy clients.
Chunky and a'bugger to fabricate into the metalwork.

These days I like the fast and loose of shrouded banana technology.

Robert

Last time I was shopping around the voltage rating was the limiting factor. Most common connectors are only rated for 250V, which is a bit on the low side for what you want for tube applications.

One family that will fit the bill is the MIL-C-26482 series of circular multipole connectors. It has almost everything going for it: sturdy, high-voltage/high-current capable, available in several densities, second sourced up the wazoo and likely to be easily available for some time to come. Only downside is the price, but if this is a professional setting (vs ultra-cheapo home studio) your time in installing them will likely cost more than the parts. In the UK they should be available from both RS and Farnell.

JDB.

Hey guys - Thanks for the replies,!!- must stop this unintentional rapping!!
Yeah  - most connectors tend to be rated to 250V - I was hoping for upto 350V. Will do some more looking!!

connectors usually have separate DC and AC ratings, and the ratings are for a given current.

Latest posts

Back