NEVE Colors... British standard, Ral, Humbrol ???? What else ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neeno

Well, I'm not talking about the beloved color of the sound... at least not this time, not again !!!

I have a 4 33114 modules that I want to rack ala Brent Averill that means that i'll remove the original faceplates and fit them on a 19" 1U rack front panel, I rotated the layout 90° to be more readable.

I would like to paint the panels with the same color used by Neve, but after a couple hours spent on the interent this is what I've got:

The early modules used "RAF Blue Gray" (RAF stays for Royal Air Force)
and then they switched to "Extra dark sea gray"

Unfortunately I don't know where to find those kind of paints and I didn't found a conversion table from British Standard to RAL or Humbrol.
I recall there was a thread about this where (maybe) Peter Purpose offered some good alternatives, but I can't find it anymore.

Thank you guys.

Hi Neeno,

The British Standard military colour pallette is BS381C.

Neve colours are RAF Blue/Grey (633), Extra Dark Sea Grey (640), Crimson (540), Maroon (541) ...

They are denoted e.g: BS381C:633

I'm not sure what the orange lettering is on the 33xxx modules ... maybe Light Orange (557)?
There are other colours, used for example in the knob inserts of these modules ... look them up! ;)

http://www.ifspowdercoating.co.uk/bs_381c_colour_chart.htm

Cheers,

Dan

Knowing the paint code, and that those color were used for military vehicles, I would ask to a car painter, preferably one specialized in vintage cars restauration. I know these guys can ask their paint dealer for any coded colours. Some of them have a precision scale and the basic colours, so they can mix the colour with the apropriate formula...

Axel

Do you have a color sample right ?

What i did once, was taking a panel from our neve (from the PSU rack) and taking it to a paint shop. They had a colorist that replicated the color. Almost perfect color match and not expensive.

Thank you very very much guys !
I headed to a color shop here and I found that they can do pretty much all the colors also the British Standards used by Neve.
I've got the paint, now I'll try and post some results.

As Dan said the colors are the following:
Neve colours are RAF Blue/Grey (633)
Extra Dark Sea Grey (640)

I choosed satin finish (yes, they can also make them matte, satin and gloss)

Thank you all for your help again.

P.S.: does anyone what is the original color of the pultec ?

Hi Skylar !
I already found it, and I also tried to get a color matching Frank's receipt, but...
I have the feeling that also the pultec uses a BS381 color...

Am I wrong ?

Latest posts

Back