• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD - Considering selling a Neve 1089 racked as 1073 / no power supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwsoundman

Hello everyone,

It's been many years since I have been back to the Group DIY site. So many cool changes.

Anyway I am getting out of the audio game. I ended up as chief engineer for Studiopolis. I lost hearing in one ear and on top of that the studio changed for the worse after my boss / owner died.

I am looking at finding a fair price to sell a Neve 1089 module racked as a 1073. The relay PCB was removed and the line gain changed to match the 1073. The faceplate is a real Neve and marked 1073. I have pics of the insides to show what trafos are installed etc. It's the real deal. Brent sold these in the past for just a bit less than 1073's. They are great units.

I don't have the power supply. It was left in California with the other 1089 / 1073. They cost about 250.00.

Any ideas / interest?

Thanks guys and gals.

Attachments

• Neve.jpg
    Neve.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 144
Hello,

I guess my post was a little confusing, sorry. I am interested in selling but want some help on setting a fair price. I don't want to take advantage or get taken advantage of.  A salesperson I dealt with for years, now at Vintage King, said to list it on ebay for 5k. I am not sure of that figure without power supply. He is aware of that and also where it came from (very trusted source) and came up with that number. I am open to offers publicly or private.. I just want to have things fair for both parties if it sells here.

It is a 1089 with the relay pcb removed and the line in gain reordered to make it a 1073 again. The 1089 was a 1073 modified to work in S. Africa BBC console. They had a single input that was switched to the mic or line input of the 1089. Also they had the line in gain reversed from the 1073. The high band is 12K like the 1073 not 10K.

Ideas?

I found a pair that sold for $4k.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/221265415598?_mwBanner=1

Maybe VIntage King could milk $5k per channel out of them but I don't think that's typical market price. I'm interested if it's reasonable.

ruairioflaherty,

Would you mind sending me or posting what company and price you guys see. I know 5K is high most of the time.

Baltimore,

The auction you posted are for BAE models. They are clones not the real deal. This adds to my problem. Real 1089s and 1073's sell for more than BAE models. To some the difference is minimal. To others the originals are where it's at. I am very familar with the BAE stuff and it is not the same. IMHO

I am open to see what the market bears. If a good enough number pops up everyone would be happy. I won't sell it like it is not an original Neve but am not out to get super top dollar either. I hate the 5k to 7k asking prices for 1073's. This is identical to a 1073 but not to some purists. Kind of a weird place to be in.

Still open for conversation if it is not considered bad form here.

NW,

My google works just like yours so you'll find the same listings as me.  I watched every lot in a huge rental company gear sale here in L.A. last week, prices were soft all round and none of the many Neve 1073s and other modules  commanded the prices they have at the peak.  Advertised prices on Vintage King or Buy it now listings on eBay do not reflect the reality of the market.

You are not just competing with new BAE and other clones, you are competing with used too and they can be had very affordably (a friend recently picked up 8 x BAE 1073 including a rack for $18k.

ruairioflaherty said:
NW,

My google works just like yours so you'll find the same listings as me.  I watched every lot in a huge rental company gear sale here in L.A. last week, prices were soft all round and none of the many Neve 1073s and other modules  commanded the prices they have at the peak.  Advertised prices on Vintage King or Buy it now listings on eBay do not reflect the reality of the market.

You are not just competing with new BAE and other clones, you are competing with used too and they can be had very affordably (a friend recently picked up 8 x BAE 1073 including a rack for $18k.

Thanks for that reply.

I just moved to WA from Burbank. I have lots of relationships with the usual suspects there. The low side of wholesale is 2.75 - 3k real standing cash offers from a few folks. I am hoping for 3.5k as I am sentimentally attached to the gear I have. My personal rig is all old Record One stuff and means a lot to me. I feel that number is a good deal. That's less than any markup it would get if I sell it to a re-seller.

Thanks again for the input.

Back