Resistors/Capacitors experience

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joelv

If you have used any of these resistors or capacitors could you please share your experience.

Resistors: Kiwame, Mills, Rekin, Dale, Caddok, Vishay, Shinikoh tantilums, Allen Bradley
Caps: V Cap TFTF, Solen FastCaps, Jensen NOS Paper-In-Oil, Motor runs, Black Gates, Elnas Silmic

For the people who have used them, how much of a difference in sound is there going to be from using a Xicon resistor compared to the Kiwame resistors, or a Allen Bradley? Same for the caps, is there going to be a huge difference from the V Cap TFTF to a Cornell Dubilier?

Thanks,
-Joel

where are you going to install these components?

wait, let me guess and save server space,

karnac the magnificient says it is not for a fairchild 670?

so that leaves the green pre or di box or 1176 for solid state,

or possibly a lethal box like a pultec eq or la2 compressor?

if you are Really low on components, the best thing to do is hit the junk sales,

one lucky weekend of garage sales can net you a lifetime's supply of components,

it is more fun to blow up cheap stuff rather than expensive stuff,  :D

CJ said:
the best thing to do is hit the junk sales, one lucky weekend of garage sales can net you a lifetime's supply of components, it is more fun to blow up cheap stuff rather than expensive stuff,  :D

Where on earth are you finding components at garage sales?  Ok, California somewhere.  Are people seriously getting rid of crap like that at garage sales where you live?  If so, awesome!

Joelv said:
For the people who have used them, how much of a difference in sound is there going to be from using a Xicon resistor compared to the Kiwame resistors, or a Allen Bradley? Same for the caps, is there going to be a huge difference from the V Cap TFTF to a Cornell Dubilier?

No.

Forget about that resistor crap you've been reading at audiophile sites. Sure there are differences between brands but we are talking about life of the part, not sound. As for carbon vs metal film resistors, yes indeed there is a measurable difference in noise and distortion. so small only your dog can hear it.

But does not care.

As for caps, get a selection of *affordable* stock standard caps and swap them around in critical places. Film and electrolytic. Say, that 10uF coupling cap at the transformer, or the interstage cap. You might not hear a thing. Or you might end up liking some cap better than others. No one can tell you what *you* prefer. Too many variables in circuit too.

And stop reading or believing what those audiophiles tell you.

CJ said:
where are you going to install these components?

These components are for a Urei 175b.

Kingston said:
No.

Forget about that resistor crap you've been reading at audiophile sites. Sure there are differences between brands but we are talking about life of the part, not sound. As for carbon vs metal film resistors, yes indeed there is a measurable difference in noise and distortion. so small only your dog can hear it.

But does not care.

As for caps, get a selection of *affordable* stock standard caps and swap them around in critical places. Film and electrolytic. Say, that 10uF coupling cap at the transformer, or the interstage cap. You might not hear a thing. Or you might end up liking some cap better than others. No one can tell you what *you* prefer. Too many variables in circuit too.

And stop reading or believing what those audiophiles tell you.

Thanks,

Yea, i kinda thought the sound difference would be negligible. So if i was going to spend my money i should do it on the caps rather then resistors?

Joelv said:
Yea, i kinda thought the sound difference would be negligible. So if i was going to spend my money i should do it on the caps rather then resistors?

First don't spend any extra money on caps or resistors at all.

Just make it work.

Then if you feel you absolutely must make improvements get some alternative caps for signal path to try.

But I suspect the case with 175b is when you have it working you will be so completely blown away by the sound  it won't matter what caps you used.

I do absolutely agree with the above posters. Additionally I'd like to point out that differences between different types of passives (e.g. polypropylene film capacitor vs. electrolytic capacitor or wirewound resistor vs. carbon composite resistor) are necessarily much large than differences between different manufactures of the same type (e.g. Vishay metal film resistor vs. Caddok metal film resistor). So if you ever decide to get into this level of tweaking I'd suggest to study the behaviour of the different types first.

Samuel

you know, there is not a lot here on retail links for cheap parts,

who wants to start a Meta on where to buy components?

also,

in the Info for Beginners Meta by one mr Burnley, a lot of the links are broken,

like this:

"http://www.capacitors.com/picking_capacitors/pickcap.htm
Picking Capacitors Fantastic article from Walter G. Jung and Richard Marsh."

and this:

"http://members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.html
The Sound Of Capacitors- Can you hear it? Steve Bench explains..."

who can edit that meta, is mark still around?

???

Here is Oregon we are close to all the old  retired Tektronix guys--and the yard sales are sometimes unbelievable.  I bought over 100,000 tubes at one yard sale for $113 (albeit a few years ago!)

I have a huge stash of OIP Tek Select capacitors (thousands of all sizes) that I got for $0 at a clean machine shop clean out.  These had to be linear at frequencies in the 100's of megahertz, so they handle audio just fine.

I have definitely noticed a difference with these caps, so I usually use them to bypass whatever else is in the audio chain. 

Joelv said:
....For the people who have used them, how much of a difference in sound is there going to be from using a Xicon resistor compared to the Kiwame resistors, or a Allen Bradley?...
I admit that I may like certain parts and this will make me feel better. The reason for my attention is high electrical performance looks etc but price won't impress me. If you put in a uA741 in a phono amp it will not sound good and this can everyone hear but as soon as you put in an electrically correct part with proper gain, proper speed, then sound difference is starting to get less and less. When it comes to resistors in high level circuits, not many living persons can point out a certain type even though too many people claim that they can.

My opinion is to choose good quality parts and then go to really tweak in is a rather long way. My answer i : Not very big difference.

Joelv said:
Elnas Silmic

i used those Elna Silmic II to recap my 200 year old mixing console...
they do much to sound, they are really good, but expensive, but it is worth it

watch for the size when you want to buy them... the first once i bought where to big
you can also use the panasonic FC... i like those to and they are cheaper...

i always use the regular 1% metall resistor but you can get those Vishay-Dale CMF-55-143 (non-magnetic) which cost 89 cent
in the future i might want to use coal resistor with lowest possible tolerance, because i figured they sound better

I have a question regarding Volts on a Capacitor. I need a cap at 450V, would it be alright if i got something higher, like a 600V?

-Joel

Is very very hard to put words for sounds
but for resistors: Kiwame are the best I have tasted in TUBE audio use, I used the Dale in the Plate Resistor, there are still some noise like very little hissssssss when you set the input gain all the way up , then I swaped to a green kiwame, the noise is gone!!!!!!! ( I don't want to belive that either ) but it did.

Dale and Caddok sounds pretty close to each other and sounds pretty standard to me ( noise spec just a very little better then those metal film 1% normal thing )

for caps: V Cap TFTF ( smooth and nice mid range )
Solen FastCaps ( stable )
Jensen NOS Paper-In-Oil ( very slow on the high in fact you miss a bit of ultra high ) nice to use for smoothing things out and make it a bit vintage

Black Gates ( too expensive but nice )
Elnas Silmic II ( Highly Recommented once installed the sounds will all open up and faster but still the bass will go deeper )
Love silmic a lot
this are all just my personal taste, I also tried some other different stuff too ..........

Adky said:
but for resistors: Kiwame are the best I have tasted in TUBE audio use, I used the Dale in the Plate Resistor, there are still some noise like very little hissssssss when you set the input gain all the way up , then I swaped to a green kiwame, the noise is gone!!!!!!! ( I don't want to belive that either ) but it did.

Dale and Caddok sounds pretty close to each other and sounds pretty standard to me ( noise spec just a very little better then those metal film 1% normal thing )

Jensen NOS Paper-In-Oil ( very slow on the high in fact you miss a bit of ultra high ) nice to use for smoothing things out and make it a bit vintage

Elnas Silmic II ( Highly Recommented once installed the sounds will all open up and faster but still the bass will go deeper )
Love silmic a lot
this are all just my personal taste, I also tried some other different stuff too ..........

Thanks,

I looked into the Elnas Silmic II, and im pretty sure they dont have anything higher then 100V, all the caps i need are above 200V.

Adky said:

Love silmic a lot

Sure, some resistors can be noisier than others, particularly carbon comps.  I don't know what the green kiwames cost but you will sometimes see wirewound types specified for some vintage tube gear in critical circuit points because they had had better noise specs.  May be worth a try - perhaps less expensive than exotic types. 

kiwames cost $1-$2

Anybody have any input on my question regarding Volts on a Capacitor?

-Joel

Latest posts

Back