Yamaha PM1000 inductors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedug

Hey folks,

I have a module with 2 damaged inductors.

The damaged inductors are labeld 4680 and 410F.
Any idea what kind of inductor that I can use to replace these?

d./

A long shot could be 680mH and 10mH.

But it's a guess..

Compare with a working channel - possibly unsolder and measure inductors if you don't have schematic with values..

Jakob E.

Hey Doug,

I've got a wiring diagram and parts layout sheet for the PM1000 input module...I should scan it in and post it somewhere as it's not in the manual. I believe that it's 680mH and 100mH.

Here's how it's physically laid out, this should help determine which ones are bad. With your connector plug at the top, and the control pots to the right, component side up:

[ 5.6H ] [ 8.2H ]

[100mH ] [ 47mH ]

[680mH ] [180mH ]

Let me know if that's too cryptic.

You should check with Josh Karnes (from the krash jones site), it's a long shot, but because he had so many broken channels etc... he might have some left over original inductors. Again, it's a long shot.

BTW: It is a 100mH and a 680mH

Is there anything else I need to know before ordering?

d./

Here's the wiring diagram:

PM1000Wiringdiagraminputmodulesmall.jpg

If anyone needs a high quality 1MB detailed copy of this image, just email me. In the big file, everything is readable.

Hey folks -

I'm resurrecting this old thread to see if someone out there has a copy of the above image stored on their computer. I emailed Jay but he has since lost the file in a move to a different computer.

If you?ve got it, would you mind sending it to me?

Thanks!

Jed

So...the reason I'm looking for the above drawing is because I'm in the same boat that Dug was in. I?ve recently acquired a couple PM1000 strips and I?ve got four damaged inductors between the two channels. Bummer!

The damage is to the 5.6H (1), 100mH (2), and 680mH (1) inductors. On each one, the plastic that is holding a lead has broken and the lead is separated from the little-itty-bitty wire that it needs to be connected to.

I?ve been looking around for a couple hours now and it doesn?t seem like these are going to be very easy to replace.

I?ve seen 100mH TOKO inductors listed at Mouser/Digikey but they don?t stock them. I could probably find those somewhere. I?m not sure it?s a good replacement (the Q could be different, right?), but at least it might be in the same ballpark.

So far I haven't found 680mH or 5.6H sizes stocked online by any of the usual suspects or in anything close to this form factor. Which leads me to two questions:

1. Is it possible (even from a theoretical standpoint) to fix these? Could I give them to my friend who is capable of soldering surface-mount components and have him try to surgically reattach the leads to those wires?

2. How do they even make a 5.6H inductor this small? This thing is the size of the end of my thumb! Seems like anything else in the multiple Henry range is a lot bigger than this.

I?ve attached a photo to show the damaged areas of two of the inductors. Cork screw provided for scale and description of my mental state. ;)

broken.jpg

Jed

So one last bump / question to see if anyone has any input on this. (And I'm still looking for the drawing if anyone has it...)

If I swap parts between the two modules I can get down to only needing one 100mH inductor to make one (hopefully) working unit. I would just bypass the EQ on the other and use it solely for the preamp section.

1. There seem to be quite a few 100mH inductors out there - are there any specifications I should look for that indicate an inductor better suited for audio use?

2. The old inductors have a lead that attaches them to the pm1000's ground plane. I don't think I've seen any inductors in my searching over the last few days that have a ground lead. Was that just a dummy lead on the old inductor? How worried about this should I be?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions you all might have! This site is an invaluable resource thanks to all of your combined wisdom and experience. There is no way I would be dipping my toes into DIY if it weren't for this place! :grin:

Latest posts

Back