Universal switcher-any interest?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igor

This is old project, I decided to make it available as well, if there will be interest.

Say, we need to switch between loudspeakers and inputs, but have non-latching pushbuttons.
Or, various relays etc. Applications like device switcher, control over pre-amp's relays....

It is possible to make with 40xx logic, but every time I needed something else.

In 2007, we prog'd microcontroller which takes care on switching logic, contact debouncing, etc.
Relays driver with open collector is on-board. Just connect illuminated pushbuttons...that's it!

Switcher has 8 modes and initial state store option.

For example, MODE 5 can be used to switch between 3 speakers, 3 inputs,
and take care of MONO and DIM relays in new simple active CRM....

MODE 1 can be used for SOLO (PFL) control pushbuttons on small 8 channel mixer...

The limit is mostly fantasy, as switcher chip covers many apps.

universal_switcher_sch_small.png

universal_switcher_pcb_small.png

Schematic/PCB hi-res:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/2448/universal_switcher_sch.png
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/2448/universal_switcher_pcb.png

MODE 1. 8X (LATCH)
SW1...8->OUT1...8
Press button 1, LED 1 is ON; press button 1 again, LED1 is off, etc.

MODE 2. (1 OF 8 SELECT)
SW1...8->OUT1...8
Press button 1, LED 1 is ON; press button 1 again, LED1 still ON;
press button 3, LED3 ON, LED1 off, i.e. SELECTOR application.

MODE 3. 2X( 1 OF 4  SELECT)
SW1...4->OUT1...4 ( 1 OF 4  SELECT)
SW5...8->OUT5...8 ( 1 OF 4  SELECT)

MODE 4. 4X (LATCH) AND ( 1 OF 4 SELECT )
SW1...4->OUT1...4 (LATCH)
SW5...8->OUT5...8 ( 1 OF 4 SELECT )

MODE 5. 2X (LATCH) AND 2X (1 OF 3 SELECT)
SW 1,2->OUT 1,2 (LATCH)
SW 3,4,5->OUT 3,4,5 (1 OF 3)
SW 6,7,8->OUT 6,7,8 (1 OF 3)

MODE 6. 2X (LATCH) AND 2X (ONE-KNOB, 1 OF 3 SELECT)
SW 1,2->OUT 1,2 (LATCH)
SW 3->OUT 3,4,5 (1 OF 3) LOGIC: 100-010-001
SW 4->OUT 6,7,8 (1 OF 3) LOGIC: 100-010-001

MODE 7. 2X (ONE-BUTTON, 1 OF 4 SELECT)
SW 1->OUT 1,2,3,4 (1 OF 4) LOGIC: 1000-0100-0010-0001
SW 2->OUT 5,6,7,8 (1 OF 4) LOGIC: 1000-0100-0010-0001

MODE 8. 2X (LATCH) AND 1X (ONE-BUTTON, 1 OF 3 SELECT) AND 1X (ONE-BUTTON, 3 STATE)
SW 1,2->OUT 1,2 (LATCH)
SW 3->OUT 3,4,5 (1 OF 3 SELECT) LOGIC: 100-010-001
SW 4->OUT 6,7 (3 STATE) LOGIC: 11-10-01

Hello!

This is what i really could use!!!

Highly interested!

Do you have PCBs or kits available right now?

regards,
Wolfgang

This looks like it could be really really useful for a few things I've been thinking of making as well

0dbfs said:
I've been looking for a nice way to implement both an 8x1 and 1x8 passive stereo switcher for expanding my monitoring I/O. Is this just the logic controller or does it include PCB for relays?

Logic controler and relay driver. The relays etc aren't here.
This project is just a multi-purpose control.

wolfgang said:
Hello!

This is what i really could use!!!

Highly interested!

Do you have PCBs or kits available right now?

I used this controller many times on different projects simply breadboarded...
Like:

Here, this chip (breadboard) is demonstrated with RECALLER (16x memorys, black board, 1-16 on 7-seg led display and store/recall buttons)...
Total recall!

The second version of this controller with 10 in/10 out but without different logic options
successfully works under the name "ROUTER" here:
Hi-res picture:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/black_.jpg

black_small.jpg

benlindell said:
This looks like it could be really really useful for a few things I've been thinking of making as well

Yep....The limit is the fantasy :)

Yep....The limit is the fantasy

or the skills on programming a UP!

I have no problem with breadbording or maybe doing a pcb but i have no clue on programming!
For a Project i need 2x 1of4 switching and 8x on/off switching with momantary pushbuttons. have expermented with CMOS and it is working but need alot of space and parts for this against a elegant solution like yours!

So will you offer this thingys ? Or even a programmed UP only?  ( Then i dont have to learn UP-programing  ;) )

regars,
wolfgang

+1 on what wolfgang said - I'd like a couple of of those chips definitely, the pcb is a nice addition, but could probably be breadboarded.

Very cool Igor!

It'd be super cool if you posted the code for the micro - that way it could be expanded to suit different projects. But perhaps you don't want to or can't do that - completely understand...!  ;D

Hi Igor,

Love it!

I'm very interested and would want a PC Board as well, if at all possible. I'd take two right away and can see ongoing uses for this project.

Best Regards,

Graemme

I'm failing to understand exactly how this project comes together and works.  Is it essentially the basis of what a Crookwood mastering router is?

I'm very interested in building some sort of a mastering console for our room.  We had serious interest in the Manley Backbone and then they jacked the price up $2k last month, so that kinda ruined it a bit.  The Crookwood stuff looks great too, and the basic routers fall in the same sort of $5k price bracket.

I fear designing and building something of this nature would take a lot of time and effort, and perhaps just buying something would be a better choice now, especially when there's mastering work to be done.

Thanks,
Sig

I'm failing to understand exactly how this project comes together and works.  Is it essentially the basis of what a Crookwood mastering router is?

I'm very interested in building some sort of a mastering console for our room.  We had serious interest in the Manley Backbone and then they jacked the price up $2k last month, so that kinda ruined it a bit.  The Crookwood stuff looks great too, and the basic routers fall in the same sort of $5k price bracket.

I fear designing and building something of this nature would take a lot of time and effort, and perhaps just buying something would be a better choice now, especially when there's mastering work to be done.

Well, I feel we moving a bit aside from universal switch board, and, with happy intonation to pronounce,
we still not raised the K-1 price, it is $3800.... but thinkin' about rising it up :)

K-1 has only 4 inserts instead of 8, but it has a way more options to play with them than....
Well, K-1 is different thing at all.
Need 8 inserts-take a pair of K-1's.
http://www.332studio.com/blog/

Until we not looking at utility feeds, K-1 is absolutely passive router (digitally controlled relay-based patch).
Router section shows the actual signal flow. Inserts 1 and 2 are "passive" and done with mind for "clean" units,
inserts 3 and 4 supposed to be "color-adding", but it is just my mind, there are many ways to use it....

Utility feeds are built across the inserts 3 and 4 (when no level or MS or parallel involved, passive as well).
Utility feeds allows to insert level before or after insert, as well as
process the signal in MS thru the insert and (or) mix with clean...

Level range is Mute, -96....-30 in 2 db steps, -30...+30 in 0.5 db steps,
both channels (LR or MS) can be controlled together as well as unlinked (L/M and R/S).
I.e. level can be brought down by 2 db for both channels, than M -0.5 , S +1.5 db.

16 memory's as sweet addition, absolutely total recall.
I.e. process the signal thru Massenburg 8200, take down a level, pump the mix with 2254C and add it over clean signal,
save as preset 7, than, by one click compare to passing thru  MixBuzz1 (for example, hehe) and Nevish Pultec..... stored as preset 4,
than, compare to clean, preset 1 for example.... etc etc.

The design was done with mind to make it flexible as possible, than throw out from box all unnecessary things,
and think it out again and again to be easiest and ergonomic in work - Bob, hands/electronics - Igor.

BTW, guys: never let electronic designers make the audio stuff,
there should be healthy criticism from the side of real audio (ears+knowledge) man.
I never built any audio unit except maybe some crazy proto's (never left the shelf) without talking with people who will use it.
If I'd built the mastering transfer chain myself, it had all possible things but hasn't did half of K-1 :)
/hm...never knew any grammatics except Russian, sorry, lads :)

You can find some explanations here:
http://www.digido.com/k-1-mastering-transfer-console.html

About two hundreds relays, test procedure on 7 pages written in Russian,
SMD components are used on front panel "computer", whole building process for pair of K-1's takes us about a month.
Quite not DIY-able, requires freaky test jig, scope and analyzer :)

I was thinkin' some time ago about let the people build kinda microphone/devices switcher, it did not found many interest....

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38340.0

Thanks for the info!  Ok cool, well for 8 inserts $8000+ is a lot of money, so I think the Crookwood is a much more feasible solution, and it does so much and is fully expandable for the future - 7 inserts and full router with presets, MS and trims at $4k USD.

Got some emails from Crispin this morning, he seems like a rad dude, and of course the Crookwood name is great to have for a mastering room as well.

Thanks!
Sig

Sig: to be correct, $7600 for 8 inserts. The rest is up to your taste...
Take into account absolutely passive router of K-1 and clean as possible audio path.

And, thanx for moving the theme out of topic, BUT back to small and nice universal switcher device.
If you want to compare/discuss units, take'em, open the covers, compare by audio, than make your own decisions.

Igor, I have NO question whatsoever that your product isn't top notch, and clean as anything.  But the only reason we ended up not going with the Manley unit is because they decided to increase prices by $2000.  I understand their position, and if they're on the verge of bankruptcy then they need to figure out other ways to make ends meet other than jack the prices.  If there was $8000 laying around here (you did say the price of your units was going up), then there'd be no question, but the fact is that there isn't even $4k to spend, and it'll be extremely hard coming up with that.  Times are tough and there's less work to go around for everyone, price increases during a recession is a definite no no (referring to Manley).

But, back on topic, I am interested in what you're offering as a DIY router, and curious to see where this is headed.

Thanks!
Sig

Back