Interesting Russian capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marik

Hey guys have a look at pics. Center terminated Russian capsule from shotgun mic. Pay attention at backchamber construction. Chinese 32mm just for size reference:

RussianCapsuleFront.JPG

And here fliped over:

RussianCapsule.JPG

Somewhere I had a Russian AKG style capsule about 27mm diameter. Will post pics when find it.

After some experiments I made an awsome omni capsule out of it. Now looking for 40mm ball--like in M50. The closest I could find so far was a ping-pong ball. Hey guys in US, keep your eyes on balls--40mm needed!
In fact if I remember correctly, Schoeps uses two sizes--40mm and 50mm.

Here is the capsule I took out of an MCA SP1.

There are lots of pictures, so I'll just give you a link to the directory:
http://avensonaudio.com/tech/mic%20capsule/

Nice pictures. Maybe a meta of capsule pictures would be fun?

If anybody wants me to host large pictures of capsules, I would be more than willing. I could even try to make some variety of webpage to browse them.

hey that capsule( the mca sp1) is the EXACT same one out of the mxl991/990(which are the exact same mic only one in a "vocal" type of body and the other in an "instrument" type body).. and i do mean EXACT.

[quote author="Svart"]hey that capsule( the mca sp1) is the EXACT same one out of the mxl991/990(which are the exact same mic only one in a "vocal" type of body and the other in an "instrument" type body).. and i do mean EXACT.[/quote]

...and many other SD Chinese mics, incl. MXL603, Behr B5, etc.

yeah unfortunately you are correct. it's almost comical what some paint and a BS review can do for the prices of these things even though they are the exactly the same. I changed the caps out and actually got a decent sound out of mine, do you think the capsule is worth working with or just use it for extra crap?

[quote author="Svart"]yeah unfortunately you are correct. it's almost comical what some paint and a BS review can do for the prices of these things even though they are the exactly the same. I changed the caps out and actually got a decent sound out of mine, do you think the capsule is worth working with or just use it for extra crap?[/quote]

Actually, I think the capsules are just fine and just need better electronics. I heard some reports that changing circuit for tube in MXL 603 sounds very nice. Also, these capsules are quite sensitive for polarizing voltage. I bypassed DC-DC converter in MXL603 and the mic sounds better, on expense of lower output.
I will play with the capsule probably next week.

[quote author="Marik"]Brad,

This capsule is a very smart design--it is a KM84 clone, IIRC. But look at the backplate of mine:

MXLBackplate.JPG
[/quote]

So you basically opened up 4 more gaps to change the air cushion behind the diaphram?

So you basically opened up 4 more gaps to change the air cushion behind the diaphram?

I haven't tested it yet, though. I have another backplate, where I drilled smaller holes around middle rim to increase acoustic resistance. In a meanwhile I am looking for different thickness mylar sheets for spacers. When I find it, will put everything back for experiment.

Marik,
Just ask Dupont. They'll give you enough free samples of mylar in different thicknesses as samples to last a year.

[quote author="Gus"]A 3 micron one is in the nady cm90. About $50.00 from MF[/quote]

Thanks Gus, It looks like MXL600, but 1/4 of the price. I will probably buy it to check.

I have two that have had parts upgraded it is almost the same circuit as in the 603.

Hi,

I was wondering if these capsules are all brass or what is the material exactly. I took a lathe class a few months ago and had interest in making a mic capsule out of nickel but I would have needed all kinds of expensive tooling to be able to drill into nickel...............What are the majority of capsules you take apart typically made of? I would love to know!!

Danke im voraus!!
Rachel Uwa

Latest posts

Back