1081 Parts Info

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, i would like to know that, too :wink:

And... ahem... where can I get these cool white switches incl. switch assembly? Are they dialistat? I heard they're maybe available from stanler or devlin?

Ah... and now i know how the input transformers are mechanical connected to the main pcb.. with these small metal panels... : :wink:
input_xformer.jpg

And I think I have to use substitute transistors for the 440amp, i don't have a clue if all transistors have a mechanically good connection to the heatsink :?: Is a compounding/no linking element used here?

ouput1.jpg

ouput2.jpg

Frank.

Peter, you're a sweetheart. BTW, you're 1*81s ought to be finished about now? You still planning to ebay them? Be sure to share some pix beforehand.

We should be collecting a master BOM on one of these threads now... anyone?

cheers,
t

Frank,

I bought some standard heatsinks from Digi-key or Mouser that appear to fit. I've seen 340 amps with and without compound, I doubt you'll need it. It's only two transistors that need heatsinks. I'll find part numbers for the heatsinks I have if anyone wants them. Tekay has talked about alternative transistors and heatsinks, I'm not sure what he means for the heatsinks...

I have not seen any flat heatsinks like the originals available anywhere, have you? Standard heatsinks should work, but I've not seen anyone try it yet.

No clue about other switches yet.

Where's our master BOM? This project is so big and expensive, we should collect part numbers and sources to make things easy for everyone. Who has a list we can use for starters?

cheers,
t

we ought to figure out the part number for the pots, everyone who bought switches is going to need them. Will be easy to do the group order on it, I imagine we'll be in for quite a few units. Someone should just call vishay on the phone and figure out what the part is and find out minimums instead of just going around on the internet, Im sure they have an answer. If I had more time during business hours Id volunteer to do it.

dave

For those not wanting to wait for a group order, Farnell keeps those in stock - 3068250 for 10k audio in cermet(they keep conductive plastic as well). I just ordered a couple of the 5k logs for Baumans N72's - got them in my hot little hands as we speak...

Justin.

[quote author="nrgrecording"]i don't have a clue if all transistors have a mechanically good connection to the heatsink :?: Is a compounding/no linking element used here?[/quote]
The center metal screw on the heatsink secure it to the PCB. each of the two TO-39 output transistors then gets a metal cup that fits over it. I do think compound was used here originally. There is a hole drilled in the top of each cup with the plastic screw securing it to the black heatsink.

I use BD139/140 as outputpair and a modified layout.
BA440TK400.jpg

Think you can bend the legs and do the same with the original layout

Tekay, cool. Nice to see a pic. What are you using for a heatsink? Looks like a slab of aluminum? Are those screws going through the transistors to the heatsink????!

[quote author="JustinS"]For those not wanting to wait for a group order, Farnell keeps those in stock - 3068250 for 10k audio in cermet(they keep conductive plastic as well). I just ordered a couple of the 5k logs for Baumans N72's - got them in my hot little hands as we speak...

Justin.[/quote]

I think this won't work. The farnell pot is 6mm, we need 4mm i think. Ahem... I measured 3,22mm diameter inside of the concentric switch. :? And the length is 25mm... we need at least 60mm or so...?

I don't think the pots with this shaft length are available everywhere else than from neve or vishay directly? Ah... and the vishay series has a option "J" for center tapped pots...ssl-eq anyone? :wink:

Frank.

Tekay, thanks. Looks like a very good solution. Did you make the heatsink? Is there anything else holding it in position besides the two transistors?

Sorry for all the questions, I'll stop now! :wink:

I think this won't work. The farnell pot is 6mm, we need 4mm i think. Ahem... I measured 3,22mm diameter inside of the concentric switch. And the length is 25mm... we need at least 60mm or so...?

Ahh well... :sad:

Tommypiper! I put in some silicon between the 10nF cap and heatsink at the other side of the board. It's cutted with a benchcutter.

RE: Master BOM...

i was working on 2 versions for a while... a High-End All original (or as close as bloody possible) version. for those of use that are tweakheads (to borrow a digidesign phrase)and have the insanity to spend the extra money, and a normal bom for those that want to built one as inexpensively as possible without any significant loss of quality (ie sounding like a Be*ringer)

unfortunately i go buried under 5 feature films and a 47 DVD set of crap that i have to to sound design, edit, ADR, and mix (among other things including some video editing... which i suck at).... SO , whinging aside... i have put it aside for a while.. until i get the remaining 32 dvds and 3 features off my back..which i hope will be 2-3 weeks. (if not.. kill me to extinguish my traumatic Post Production stress disorder) and i would hope to have some basic BOM (for maybe the 312 board) done by early November. it will be in the very well laid out Greg Stein manner. as i am using his template from the G*S*S*L BOM he so kindly created.

Thanks, Quadwould. I hope you survive the post production stress disorders. We don't want to see your acne get any worse in your avatar.

Yikes, 3 features and video editing and DVDs in a few weeks? I don't know how you do it. That would take me a year.

Appreciate your efforts on the BOM.

:guinness:

I am just starting to look at the bits and bobs I have acquired for this project

The Red Marconi Knobs - I assume go with the Elma Switch for Input Gain/Sensititvity - the red knobs fit the elam switch shaft

I have a 3 gang Switch from Electroswitch?
I have some other Switches from electroswitch (one gang?)
I have one black knob and a few other colours..
These other knobs have a very thin hole for the switch to go into

The 3 gang one has a small shaft inside what seems to be a hollow 6.35mm shaft going to all three gangs and fits into the small holes in the knobs

The other Electroswitches don'; have this small shaft but just have the hollow shaft..
How does the switch turn it self around?
How do you get the knobs onto the switch (the difference is about 4mm - on a 6.35mm shaft!)

Totally confused - did I miss a meeting???

[quote author="peter purpose"]Does this help?[/quote]

Yes, Thats Awesome!

OK, now what I'm gonna need you to do is take it apart, and do it again...
This time take some pictures at each stage of completion.

Thanks in advance.
Caine

Back