12AX7WA (CV4004) in tube microfones?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first it is hard to tell sometimes with MP3s and computer speakers

The first part has a nice "male radio voice" sound

the last part, 4th? has an interesting sound

The two in the middle electronics seemed more clear,true

What is the microphone circuit in each section and capsule?

Thanks

[quote author="jhaible"]
The one and only aspect of this topic at which my reply was aimed, is that I don't understand how the miller effect would be especially unpleasant with a capacitive signal source.
[/quote]
Miller effect can be pleasant, remember some Neumann scematics,
where that (it is said Coulomb amp, because it is integrator with current
input) was used. Some 10 pF as feedback.

xvlk

[quote author="Gus"]first it is hard to tell sometimes with MP3s and computer speakers

The first part has a nice "male radio voice" sound

the last part, 4th? has an interesting sound

The two in the middle electronics seemed more clear,true

What is the microphone circuit in each section and capsule?

Thanks[/quote]
Let other guys listen and coment. :grin:
Watch PM.
Duka

A bump

I think the mp3 is very interesting that Duka posted. I heard a capsule type I was right with with two of the microphones. One of the builds suprised me that I liked it.

This type of blind test is good to test if ones brain is learning the sounds of parts of a microphone.

I can hear amplitude modulation (tremolo) when palying this back and it is putting me off a bit.

I would maybe suggest the 1st was a bit warmer or thicker.

I thought the 2nd and 4th were quite bright in the top-end.

xyz.jpg

We have recently switched to a dual-triode 12AX7WA, easily obtainable and replaceable, mounted in a ceramic socket. (We used to use 6072A until it became impossible to find quiet ones out of the NOS dreck left on the market.)

They tell you they switched to a more popular easy to find tube that has been used in a few other mics. Personally I'd stay away from AX7's in mics. Lots of reasons why in this thread already. There are many proven circuits out there and many proven tubes for mic use.

Latest posts

Back