24 channel mixer the "Stereotype"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hakanai said:
Ok the new boards are in hand. I am waiting on a part to make sure everything is kosher with the boards and then I will open the white market thread. Should be at the end of the week.

thanks
Don
This forum needs a like button

Still waiting on one part to confirm we are all good, but I am thinking of getting a few of the weirder parts to include as a partial kit option. are there any parts that you guys would want me to do that for? I am thinking I will do the Elna caps for C2, and maybe the millmax sockets for the DOA's. What else would be good?

don

I can't speak for anyone else, but I already purchased the mill-max sockets when purchasing the pins to build the opamps.

No sweat, whatever i end up doing will be optional so don't worry about redundancy. I am thinking the Elna caps are really the only thing I will do as they are harder to source and spendy in small quantities. The millmax sockets jeff has over at classicapi are better than the ones i can source separately anyway, so I am thinking I will skip those.

don

Sorry for the delay everything is about set to go, but I am a lot more tied up this week than i had anticipated. Sunday/Monday ETA for the white market thread.

Don

is there a way to make a 16/8 mixer with these boards?
it would be really nice to have a group routing possibility for inserting dynamic tools... dont you think?

i saw some shematics from old consoles and there are often buffer amplifiers/line amplifiers to drive the insert point. so i guess its not an easy challenge... perhaps someone has a similar plan???

You could make a group SELECTABLE version like you are talking about, but a group ASSIGNABLE version would indeed require some added circuitry. Basically you could put multiple summing cards in the box and put a switch right after the 47k summing resistor to select which bus it would go to. Personally, I think this is more than adequate for most people and certainly for what you are asking about. That second bus would allow you group process things like drums or background vox. Of course that second bus would have to come back on channels of the main bus so you would consume some inputs. You could go nuts with these ideas, as I often do (I am currently cooking up a field mixer version with 1 aux).

don

@Don,

Sorry for my noob question,but I want to get the pan board situation right.
Also I'm not too familiar to the grayhill switches,have done only some of Jeff's modules so far,right after his descriptions.
So first question is how to get a center position.
Assuming we want 10k overall resistance for a 12 position switch,am I right then to take positions 1 to 11 to make pos.6 the center?If so the 10 resistors needed would be 1k each to get a linear function as they're easy to source.
Jumpering the "w" resistor position will be my former "12" when in end position.
How do I set the stop pin on the grayhill,put it to point 12,is it that simple?

Looking forward to an answer,

Cheers,

Udo.

Edit:It's not a linear function,forget about that,excuse me!
But about setting the stop pins on the gray hills,am I right with it?
So e.g. your schemo showing a 7 position solution I would set the pin to point 8,no?

Thank you again,

Udo.

The schematic shows my original implementation (there is audio showing what those values sound like earlier in the thread). If I were doing it now I would certainly do a 11 position version. Yeah you would want to jump that last position labeled "W". As for the values, yes a total resistance value of 10k. That means 5k on either side of center, with steps spaced in a logarithmic series (non-linear, like you said). Probably the best way to determine these step values is to get a 10k pot and just put it in the system and wiggle until it sounds right and then measure the resistance at that position.

The grayhills themselves come with a little instruction sheet that shows you how to place the pins. It is very simple once you see it.

don

Great Don,

cool idea to wiggle around with a standard 10k pot,will do that when I´m ready to start building.
Will buy "tons of stuff" including DOAs and the grayhills from Jeff soon.But there was never an instruction in the baggies when I bought module kits from him.I´ll find out I´m sure,hahaha......

Thanks a lot Don,

cheers,

Udo ;)

...and my next question ;D

I want to have a mute button per channel.I wonder what might be the best place for it.
Have thought of around the fader,may be "force" it to fader down?Does it fade down or out / mute completely?Switch to ground I thought......

Thank you very much,

Udo.

A couple bypass clarifications, correct me if I'm wrong:
-To bypass the pan I leave the LGR area's unpopulated. With no jumpers?
-To bypass the fade, I jump S and R?
-To bypass CMRR adjustment, I jump the white line in the trimmer footprint and populate R1 with 15k?
-If i decide to use the CMRR trimmer, I would jump R1?

Thank you,
Greg

1. "Pan bypass" Are you trying to make a few centered mono channel? I am not entirely sure what would happen if you simply left it unpopulated. To mimic the pan centered you would need to put a 5k resistor from L to G and another from R to G.

2. "Fader Bypass" Yup just jump S to R

3. "CMRR Bypass" Yes, you jump the two holes with the line between them. In this situation you would populate R1 with a 20k. NOT A 15k!

4. If you use the CMRR you need to make R1 15k. Then the trim resistor is used to optimize the CMRR

I hope that helps
Don

kante1603 said:
...and my next question ;D

I want to have a mute button per channel.I wonder what might be the best place for it.
Have thought of around the fader,may be "force" it to fader down?Does it fade down or out / mute completely?Switch to ground I thought......

Thank you very much,

Udo.
Anybody?

@Don:Boards and caps received today- now that was fast,quality is excellent!

JayDubrek said:
Hi Udo- I believe a switch to ground infront of the fader should do the trick.
Jay
Hi Jay,

thanks,that's what I am thinking of.Pro Faders often have a switch to ground at their end position to achieve higher signal damping than in the minus infinity position which is sometimes " only" -70 to - 80 dB.
Right now I'm at the DOA assembly,so it will take some time until I do my very first tests,hahaha....

Cheers,

Udo.

Yep I've got a bunch of P&G faders from an old broadcast console with a switch at the bottom of its throw. API input module schematics I've got shows a switch to ground pre fader for mute. Ive implemented it and works fine....

Back