24 channel mixer the "Stereotype"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Don,
Just a thought, wouldn't the direct out be more useful post fade? This would allow eg pres to be cranked and fed into the stereotype for fader attenuation before hitting the medium, a useful tracking tool. A transformer tap after the fader buffer would be all that's needed (i think?), no other circuitry required. For a pre fade direct feed, wouldn't it be simpler to just split the signal before the input? I thought the whole point of a direct out was that it was post fade.  ???

Sorry if I've missed something. Looking good btw, can't wait to see the new panel layout.

Ahhh tracking functionality! Yes I forget to think this way sometimes. This is going to be a live to 2/broadcast mixer for me. While it's no added components, it does involve getting signal around the board a bit more. And the direct out is not simply a tap off of the pre/post signal. There is a small series resistor and protection diodes to the rails.
I'm staring at it now and I think I can find a way to wiggle it around.

thanks for the input
Don

ok so the fader can have a huge range of gain in hand. I am spec'ing values so you can trim between 4db and 18db (ish). I think that should work for most people, yeah?

I think the channel board is pretty much done and I'll start the revised input boards tonight. That should go much faster. At some point soon I'll post a new mockup of the front panel, but at the moment I need to get back to some clients I have been neglecting. DOH!

Don

hakanai said:
ok so the fader can have a huge range of gain in hand. I am spec'ing values so you can trim between 4db and 18db (ish). I think that should work for most people, yeah?
Hi,

yes,a standard +10 or +12dB(API-style) gain in hand would be perfect.

Well done Don!

Cheers,

Udo.

So I have been working on the revised channel input board and I think I can finally tell you guys some good news I have been sitting on. The revised input board is going to double as the backplane for the new channel cards. It's a four channel input board that you can use the same way as the original, but it can also be mounted across 4 channel boards with pin headers that handle all power/signal connections. They can be daisy-chained together so all busing for Stereo bus A, Stereo bus B, and Aux 1- 4 is on the cards. The channel spacing is being laid out so that you can put three cards (12 channels) across a standard rack panel. I have been really excited about this but didn't want to say anything until I knew it was going to work in the board layout.

Ok gotta run
Don

Hello!

I've followed this project for quite some time, and would love to attempt a build. I'm looking to construct a 16x4, or 16x8 mixer, so would I need 3 boards and pan boards for each channel?
If so, I'd be in for 3 of the main boards and 16 pan boards:) Let me know when you can and I'll Paypal the money over to you.

Considering my level of building skills this will be ambitious, but I have plenty of time, so I'm sure I can do it.

I'm picturing a simple 16x4, or preferably a 16x8 sub mixing board with Penny and Giles faders/ pan pots/ and possibly a 500 series compatible socket I can switch in or out of the circuit for each channel so I can choose to add EQ/compression in the future.

I figure I'll start building the Gar's now=D

Please let me know what I would need.

I'm very excited to get started! Again, let me know when have availability.

Thanks!

my email address is phaudio (at) hotmail (dot) com

I'm here, email is info AT hakanairecording DOT com . sorry if it was bounced back don't know why that would happen. I do have few of the old boards left but if you want to build a mixer with aux sends, mute, and solo, I would suggest the new boards which are still being finished up. I am very close to ordering them. I will update things here tomorrow night.

don

front panel mockup

it is late and I wanted to get something up for you guys to see all the progress, so they may be a little funky still. all the grids are .25 inch and the mockup has the backplane outline as well as the mounting hardware for the standoffs to the front panel.

must sleep

don

Attachments

• mockup2.jpg
    mockup2.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 123
Very exciting! I'm in for 3 boards for sure! I sent another email and it appears it went through just fine. I had an - at the end of your email, sorry my bad:D

Were you taking pre payments at this time, or just when the boards are ready?

Thanks,

Tweekhead

phaudio (at) hotmail (dot) com

I never like the idea of taking money for something I don't have in hand. I will be ordering boards monday. Then it is usually 2 weeks until they show up at the door. I will have prices on monday as well.

don

Right on! I'm super excited:) It's probably going to take me a few years to complete my vision, but in the end I know I'll be happy.
I just ordered 4 gar2520 kits, of which I'll need a butt load, but again, I got time=D

So is this version still going to need the classic api 2-ACA summing ? and double the amount of DOAs ? :p Any ideas on powering this beast ? I will probably build 12 or 24 channels  :D

-Dave

Latest posts

Back