5532 IC - BRAND's, Suffix/Prefix, Differences

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="khstudio"]:? What are they & are they any good?[/quote]

from somewhere in this thread: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=8727&start=0

These are dual-5534 in a 14p package; in other words a 5532 with compens.possibilities - could in principle be of use for a driver stage because of their larger power handling instead of using a 5532.

W.r.t. two single 5534's I see little advantage. Or use just one section 5533 iso a single 5534. Likely it will all make little difference, just thinking out loud a bit to give these samples an application at a spot where it would make a difference.

Sorry, couldn't resist. No need or use to try to find these, better back to 5532 & 5534 :wink:

Bye,

Peter

I'm just interested to know whether or not Philips + Signetics are the same/were the same company or were they seperate identities making these NE553XAN's IC's?

The reason I ask is because I've seen some of these with the 'S' brand and others with the Philips brand.

Same company. In Europe the Signetics NE-5534 was the Philips TDA-1034. Eventually I think they started calling the European ones 5534's too.

Peace,
Paul

I was asking the same question on another audio site a few days ago- 'like vacuum tubes, do different manufactures of the same IC part number sound different'?

I got a crap answere.

BTW- I love this site!

I recently bought NE5532 with a big "S" on them. Does anybody know the brand name? I don't suppose it's Signetics? My electronics dealer thought it was some asian company.

[quote author="Rossi"]I recently bought NE5532 with a big "S" on them. Does anybody know the brand name? I don't suppose it's Signetics? My electronics dealer thought it was some asian company.[/quote]

Hi,

Most likely Signetics indeed.

Is it an 'S' like the 'S' on the 5533-pic above ? Then definitely Signetics.

Bye,

Peter

I'm about 98.4% sure it's the same rectangular S. I only bought those after my dealer was out of Philips ones. :wink: The same guy had a bucket of Marquardt switches and a couple of Clarostat pots in his 50 cents tray. :green:

BTW: I recently found an old price list from 1983. The NE5533 was in there and was the same price as the NE5532. About 15 DM, IIRC, or ? 7.50 (+ 23 years of inflation). For comparison: a TL072 was about ?2.50.

[quote author="Rossi"]BTW: I recently found an old price list from 1983. The NE5533 was in there and was the same price as the NE5532. About 15 DM, IIRC, or ? 7.50 (+ 23 years of inflation). For comparison: a TL072 was about ?2.50.[/quote]

:shock: didn't know that the prices have been that high.

Maybe it was an expensive dealer, but I can't go back in time and find a cheaper supplier. :grin: This was an end user hobbyist mail order thing. I think they were later bought by Conrad (Germany). Conrad charges about ? 1.50 incl. tax for an NE5532 these days.

The JRC NJM5532DD & NJM5534D (DIL8) are available from http://www.profusion.co.uk but maybe you have to order a minimum quantity, price for +25 and +50 pieces

nb. ordered my THAT vca's from them and 4 days later they were mine.

Cheers,
Mike

Purusha,
YOU ARE NOT SCREEWED!

I am doing VERY critical listening to these chips on a large mixing consoles summing buss & master fader booster... I'm using the TI vers NE5532p you have in mine also.

I ordered OPA132 to replace the TL 071CP I have in a mixer per your recommendation.

Someone at another site recommended OPA 604AP & I found to to be unstable in the existing circuit as seen on a scope. It was not exactly oscillating wildly, but increased noise form 5mv to about 200mv.

Excuse my minimal experience with OP-Amps as I spend most my time with tubes.

[quote author="khstudio"]Purusha,
YOU ARE NOT SCREEWED!

I am doing VERY critical listening to these chips on a large mixing consoles summing buss & master fader booster... I'm using the TI vers NE5532p you have in mine also.[/quote]

Great. Thanks! :thumb:

Killer thread. I just stumbled across this in my quest to updage a newly acquired Topaz 24. I read a post by Jim Williams who does upgrades on the Topaz which says he's -

"redone this console with LT1358's for the duals and LT1359's for the quads. Increase the coupling caps. Bypass with polyprop film caps and you will have air."

Has anyone else played around with swapping cap types & bypassing? What about using the LT1358s?

cheers!

-erik

Back