A 1272 type preamp on my bench [NEW! pics posted]

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was expecting a complete rat's nest by the way you described it, but that don't look that bad. Especially compared to my stuff.

Hey, on a side note, I have a couple of old Neve documents and I was wondering if the 1073 1272 stuff is still protected. I would like to scan and share, but don't know the current state of copywrights. Parts lists, flow charts, atten wiring, eq, etc. Some of it looks like this:
http://vacuumbrain.com/The_Lab/TA/Neve/neve_docs_1.jpg
Thanks!
cj

Can you explain what the powersupply is ?
is there only 48V coming out of the XLR's , and then down to 24V in the modules ?

maynbe you can open that one up too :green:

Sorry CJ but I disagree with you. For home made DIY stuff it is acceptable but to sell something like this is unacceptable. You have to be carefull all the time with those wires. I do not think about this like 'put it in the rack and forget it'. It should work in any situation without problems and the user shouldn't care about those wires.

I didn't mention that this is not mine, I received it from a studio for repair after less then two years of use. Dead pots, bad contacts, wire problems.

I'm still curious if any of you have coments about the low input Z problem.

chrissugar

allowing my butt to step up to the mic:

I always thought the input inpedance was 1.2K and 300. whatever the higher input impedance is, I always thought the 300 sounded a bit better with just about anything Ive plugged into it.

Im sure this doesnt help but thought Id share anyway.

dave

Thanks for the pics

I don't see a great problem with that stuff.
When doing these racking jobs there is a trade off between keeping the think as Retro as possible OR building a complete and new rack box to house everything and discard the original casing.

Some may even feel that to remove the original front panel was a bad thing.

well, ba discards the casing on most of their neve stuff and puts it in a regular chasis, that was certainly the case on the 33114's I got from them. I doubt there was any reason other than cost to explain the setup on the 1272s which is not so much a point of contention but an observation.

dave

Sorry Andre for the late response.
I opened the PSU but have no pictures because it was nothing spectacular.
It has 24V and 48V. I have no idea why the put that 48 V sticker on the PSU box.

chrissugar

Hi christian.
What I' like to know is , If there is a seperate trafo for the 24V and 48V, or if both are coming out of one circuit and if so, how it is done ?

thanks in advance

Hey Andre

It is only one transformer for both voltages but now the unit is not here anymore and I was not very curious about it so I have no idea. It is very easy to make a PSU from a 24V transformer to output 24V DC and 48V DC.

chrissugar

Anybody have any pictures of the Vintech 1272? How about some close-ups of the Dan Alexander modules? The DA modules actually look pretty nice.

Shane

I don't know if it is that easy; there's a large thread going on here about that one.
I need to make some single 24V and 48V supplies to use in my projects.
And I'm dying to use a simple AC24 v wallwart trafo to start with.

[quote author="Category 5"]Anybody have any pictures of the Vintech 1272? How about some close-ups of the Dan Alexander modules? The DA modules actually look pretty nice.

Shane[/quote]
vintech.jpg

Vintech 1272. Looks like everything is one big PCB with Carnhill i/o trafos on either side. Is that the mains transformer in the front right corner, or just a mass of wire? Actually, I just remembered that the PSU is external, isn't it.

insidewhole.jpg

Dan Alexander Class A. Looks like actual Marinair iron. I believe the power supply (rear left corner) gets AC from a wall wart. I wonder how he does the DI input? Hopefully not the same as BAE. I think this is the best deal in fully assembled N E V E clones right now since Seventh Circle raised their prices.

I think the perfect substitute for the 10468 is a T1448. The 1442 is in fact a 31267, but yes, it can be used in reverse...

Back