ABC Tube compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synthi

Hi Mates,

I just got a strange tube compressor. Its a A.B.C. Television audio compression amplifier. some p*rn here:

ABCBOX.jpg

ABCUP.jpg

ABCBOTTOM2.jpg

ABCBOTTOM1.jpg

ABCBACK.jpg

ABFRONT.jpg

The 4 tubes are ECC81, ECC82, 6BE6 and EF (91?).

now I need to get those cannon connectors, does anyone know where could I got them???
Also Do you know anything about this units? Because the -20 pad I think It could be used for both mic and line input but the audio trafos are those black cilinders and don`t have any mark, no numbers, nada....
Also, I think its a variable mu compressor but may be you can throw some light checking the internals.....

Thanks!

Synthi.

sweet find.
this thing smacks of RCA/UTC.

the trafos look a lot liek the ones UTC made for RCA. there may be some numbers on the bottom of the trafo. where the leads are.
as for the vari-mu thing I don't knwo but knowing the US equivalent to those tubes might help since we do know of some tubes that are definite indicators of a varimu design. (like a 6386)

any way nice gear thanks for the cool pics
later
ts

u are sure it´s a compressor?? looks like an vintage remote trigger for explosives. where´s the "red button" :green:

is it working? when it sounds how it looks like you may have lots of fun.

steff

From a google search, article about Sydney Newman: "In 1955 commercial television broke the broadcasting monopoly held by the BBC, and ABC Television Ltd. was a regional company given the franchise for supplying weekend programming in the North and Midlands."

ToobieSnack: the tubes are ECC81(12at7),ECC82(12au7), 6Be6 (equivalent types: 5750, 5915, 6BY6, 6CS6, 6H31, CV2024, CV453, HM04, EK90, V885, X727, X77) and Ef91(equivalents: 6AM6, 6F12, CV138, HP6, Z77)

Steffen: ou are right in fact its a rmote controller for explosives an ancient gold mine... :grin: I can`t stop lookig at you avatar!

Rob and bcarso:

Yes I think its british, I got it from UK :cool:
The tubes are Mullard and Brimar.

I just ordered the connectors so I`ll check it soon, stay tuned!

Synthi

Latest posts

Back