Advice for enclosure for a 2 or 4 channel mic pre?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwayfair

My Scarlett 18i8 has four line inputs in the back, so I'd like to get the most out of it.

I don't particularly want to go the 500 route. I can't DIY a lunch box and it's expensive (I can get an Octopre and have 8 more preamps for the cost of the lunchbox alone).

I've used the Hammond 1444-22 (12x8x2) for a guitar amp in the past, and it was big enough to hold a power transformer for a tube amp. Does anyone think I'd have any trouble fitting the jacks, controls, and switches for a basic 4-channel mic pre* with in and out transformers in something of that?

*I'm thinking gain and trim pots, 1/2" in, 1/4" out, possibly a HPF or pad switch, nothing serious here!

I know a typical meter won't fit on a 2-inch panel, but I figured if I really need metering I might be able to get away with a dual color LED like what's on the Scarlett interfaces.

Any other suggestions for enclosures? Just if it gets too expensive I might as well buy a cheap pre and mod it instead.

You could fit it in there but I would use a seperate power supply...and make sure it can power 4 channels...Do you have any idea what you want to put in it? Thats probably the first thing I would worry about before your enclosure.

Wildfara said:
You could fit it in there but I would use a seperate power supply...and make sure it can power 4 channels...Do you have any idea what you want to put in it? Thats probably the first thing I would worry about before your enclosure.

I have the same opinion,
you could probably fit everything on that box depending on what you are trying yo build.

For Mic pre projects around the forum, normally pcbs are not that small,
Maybe 4 Access 312 pcbs could fit there, check the measures.

Im sure you can get smaller boards if you use an IC based Mic preamp, maybe develop and self etch a board with 4 mic pres + psu for your project

I just posted up a picture of a two channel unit I built....I didnt try to make it compact...like to have room. I used turret board and PTP...

Back