Need ideas for a mixing console enclosure

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the 70s I briefly considered designing and selling kit consoles. I had fun fleshing out definitions for modular building blocks that could be cobbled together to generate multiple different and useful mixer configurations.

I soon realized that this approach would never be cost effective to compete against purpose built value mixers. But it was fun to think about. :unsure:

JR
Oh that’s interesting. Maybe something has changed now because the cost of one of these units fully loaded with mic/line amps is ~$1-1.5k (but still figuring out the exact number). That’s basically 8 312 mic pres and 8 325 line amps + summing! Pretty good from a cost standpoint.

Oh that’s interesting. Maybe something has changed now because the cost of one of these units fully loaded with mic/line amps is ~$1-1.5k (but still figuring out the exact number). That’s basically 8 312 mic pres and 8 325 line amps + summing! Pretty good from a cost standpoint.
Indeed but what has changed is that the bang for the buck from value mixers has dramatically increased since the 1970s... So it would make even less sense now.

Of course DIY cost is not as much of a factor today as it was back when I ran my kit business. Back then people bought and built kits to save money.

JR

Indeed but what has changed is that the bang for the buck from value mixers has dramatically increased since the 1970s... So it would make even less sense now.

Of course DIY cost is not as much of a factor today as it was back when I ran my kit business. Back then people bought and built kits to save money.

JR
Yeah I think we’re looking at it from different angles. I’m not trying to start a business. I just want an API console haha. This would be a terrible business idea but it’s a great personal project.

Yeah I think we’re looking at it from different angles. I’m not trying to start a business. I just want an API console haha. This would be a terrible business idea but it’s a great personal project.
I guess it depends on how much you value your personal time/labor.

I have known a handful of people who built their own consoles, none of them ever did that twice.

JR

Back