allen & heath feedforward limiter info wanted.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contact the A&H Factory in Cornwall - via their Web site - you will find them willing to help if they can.

This does sound quite a rare and unusual device though......

We managed to get hold of an AES paper on the limiter.

It has a few nifty tricks in it:

It is a fet limiter, but has quite an unusual configuration using 2 fets & an op amp, which sort of self trims the 2 fets somehow. They call it a basic fet reciprocal control system.

The SAD1024 has 2 delay lines in it, & this design feeds antiphase signals into each to reduce distortion.

Many of the components date this unit to probably the late 70's. It is full of 741's & 1458's. Before most of you recoil in horror it actually sounds quite nice, & has a respectable (for the day) -70dB noise at output, less than 0.25% distortion up to the max -20dB compression.

For those of you who have AES membership the AES paper is dated `76 & is titled "A feed forward controlled delay line limiter" by CJ Evans & J Dawson. Apparently J. Dawson helped start up the ARCAM hifi company in Cambridge, UK & still works there.

i have this same limiter, i asked about it a while back and dug around myself but have never come up with any info - at the time A&H had no info about it, i emailed them about a year ago about it. i have never seen another one like it.

Latest posts

Back