another [silent:arts] LA-2a

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plabass said:
Well I hate to pick out such a small detail in that awesome build but... where'd you get the knobs? Very cool look!

The old knobs - on "gain" and "comp setting" are from an old german telephone-switch board.  The peak reduction knobs are those standard-retro biggest-size-knobs that you can find at banzai and Farnell.

Haven't tested any NOS tubes yet, but for the re-issue & new tubes :

TUNG-SOL re-issue 12AX7 "made in russia" - mucho good!!

Mullard - reissue Ecc83 --- ok

Chelmer ECC83 --- nooo good.

hi....i'm building the d-la2a with sowter 1009 and 1010 transformers......i want to know how have you connected the colours of these transformers with the colours marked on the pcb....

thanks

marco

Beware Ermetiko,  The 1:9.1 input trafo is boosting a lot of level into the circuit.  I installed these trafos as an option, mainly because I ordered the wrong ones from Sowter.  They are an interesting and a colorful option and alternative to the 1:1 trafos - but for extreme compression settings only.    A 1:1 trafo is a better option on the silent:arts pcbs.

The wires have different colors, so you'll have to figure that out from the spec-drawings from Sowter.

Looking forward to opening up my La2a again and look at some alternative mods. I've used it for some weeks now, and it usually ends up on the bass. I hope to soften it upm and to experiment further with the tubes.  There are so many interesting suggestions in previous threads.

I agree! The universal complaint (if there is one) aboutthe LA2A is always that it has too much gain. Original UTC input was 1:10 !  I'd say anything on or below 1:5 would start to tame gain. A 1:1 has been used without complaints by many!

Jim

All that extra gain will happily drive a dynamic mic.  Try it as a preamp, turn the peak reduction down, crank the gain and smile.  ;)

hi. how did you mount the sowter 3575 transformers? i have some of the can style like yours and am wondering about mounting them.

carefully measure and then drill holes. Find some fitting short screws. I remember it was quite difficult to get them in place

Latest posts

Back