Anyone interested to build a TG1 clone ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kato said:
Wow, that's some impressive wiring.

How do they get twisted pairs of wire to turn at a perfect right angle?

Solid core wire maybe?

Looks great though.  I'll defo be trying that on my next project ;D

3nity said:
is not solid core wire...
its just twisted using a hand drill....attaching the wires to a wall and the other end to a bit drill....
watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-O99BgIwfs
around 54 seconds.

Cool - worth watching the whole thing for sure.
I wonder if dealers are aware of the alleged alpha and lorlin substitutions. It bums me out to hear because this gear is the kind worth sinking money into. I'd hate to drop $1300 for a single channel germ pre, only to mod it with grayhills afterward. Mods should be for alesis and behringer.

While I don't want to bash the virtues in sound that this box may without doubt
give for various users, that black box on the pics is obviously tempting.

What do people think, mainly to keep the magic & genious ideas hidden or
to hide that there's actually not that much going on and you're paying generously
for a box that actually has a pretty low bill of material ?

The PCB could have been half, as could the depth of the case.

I understand the schematic can't be given for certain reasons, but for those in the know,
can you perhaps & please tell us how many Ge-type transistors are actually in there ?

Bye,

Peter

Some time ago the schematic was posted, but now the link doesn't work

Regarding to schemo, this unit is pretty simple to DIY, counting in experience with 33609, which is
a way more complicated. Test procedure can be figured out from voltages on schematic and
comparing to Ch*r unit on scope/analyzer one by one.
By many reasons it won't be exact clone....but still close enough.
Output transistors seems not available, however, unit I seen using substitutes as well
(marking was removed with sandpaper...can't see other reasons to do this).
By the same way, bc109/bcy71's are substituted with other TO-92 package transistors in Ch*r unit.
The biggest problem in clonning is sourcing HS2051 or sub, it appears as 1W 5V1 Zener diodes,
from experience with diode bridge comp's, using other diodes (or zeners in this case)
with different transconductance, capacitance, etc. can change comp's ratio, threshold, sonic signature, so on.
If someone here can help with finding substitute for HS2051, it can be first step to.....
edit: yap. 1/4w 5v1's. Simple as...hmmmmm...Beavis????

I think that the zener can be replaced but it is important to see the circuit to understand how it works

Wow, nice thread  :p

Igor, I like the destination where this is going. I would sure love to DIY one....
and of course design a nice rack to house this babies for all of ya.  8)

Infernal_Death said:
I am not sure that we want to go down "this road"  :-X

Its not us, its Uncle Fester..
He's obviously mad, we cant stop him, too risky.

My first post here but a lurker for a while. 
Thanks for the forum guys  : > ) and also thanks to "Fester" for posting the schematic.  I have a copy already but didn't know what the protocol was on me posting this here.

Just an opinion so take this for what it's worth - I have directly compared/listened to an original EMI TG 12413 limiter against a Chandler TG and have to say that the Chandler does NOT sound the same. The Chandler is dirtier and has more gain.
After a bit of investigation I figured that that Chandler would maybe sound closer to the orig. and probably better (less dirty) if the transformers were changed or even left out! 

Hope I'm not out of order posting this.

Igor said:
If someone here can help with finding substitute for HS2051, it can be first step to.....

Looks like Chandler uses a 1N751A here.

Also, I just took a peek to see what all the A.O.T. resistors are in a Chandler built unit and think I have all the values right.
If someone else who has a unit can check these too though so we can verify them against one another? 

I can confirm about the zener: 1N751A
The only problem is to understand the value of the A.O.T. resistors
What do you think dear old mad Fester?

Fablab said:
I can confirm about the zener: 1N751A
The only problem is to understand the value of the A.O.T. resistors
What do you think dear old mad Fester?

While I was checking for the values of these A.O.T.'s, I think I came across a slight change on the Chandler unit from the EMI schematic.  This is in connection to R16 and A.O.T. 8 and A.O.T. 10. which sit above the zener diodes.
R16 is indeed 24R but seems to be tied directly to the +20V rail and then to the cathode of the left side zeners.  A.O.T. 8 is omitted and A.O.T. 10 (which is 10R) is also tied directly to +20V and then to the right side zeners.
Other A.O.T.'s I got are:
aot1 = 330R
aot2 = not used
aot3 = 47k
aot4 = not used
aot5 = 3k
aot6 = not used

aot 7 & 9 = 3.3k & 68k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back