Are there are any existing DIY PCB designs for a 103?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveLTX

1715989087569.png
Well, all my 103 shell compatible PCBs are dreadful at hiss
Since all my capsules are RK87 it would be better if they were not 103 tuned circuits but of course I'm open to modifying them

View attachment 128980
Well, all my 103 shell compatible PCBs are dreadful at hiss
Since all my capsules are RK87 it would be better if they were not 103 tuned circuits but of course I'm open to modifying them
I intend to mount a cardioid-only U87 circuit inside of 103 body,without hi-pass or sensitivity attenuator.
I haven't designed the PCB for the through-hole parts yet, it's possible to make it point-to-point, something like:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/u87-clone-from-recycled-parts.86367/post-1129084

I intend to mount a cardioid-only U87 circuit inside of 103 body,without hi-pass or sensitivity attenuator.
I haven't designed the PCB for the through-hole parts yet, it's possible to make it point-to-point, something like:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/u87-clone-from-recycled-parts.86367/post-1129084
My attempts at point-to-point over the years ended up in either tears or escaping magic smoke so I would prefer something more permanent...
I tried the OPA Alice round pcb over at pcbway but they're asking 40usd for the boards. Ouch!

My attempts at point-to-point over the years ended up in either tears or escaping magic smoke so I would prefer something more permanent...
I tried the OPA Alice round pcb over at pcbway but they're asking 40usd for the boards. Ouch!
Well, I started a clone of the tlm103 circuit a while ago, it sounds great, but I was too lazy to design a PCB for it with through-hole components.
I used to make my own PCB, by hand, by corroding with hydrochloric acid and perhydrol, but I became comfortable, I don't have much patience anymore and then I always end up with fast point-to-point constructions.
Anyway, you can use other types of boards, convenient, cheap.

Attachments

• 80223702f77fcf01e58acd2c99a05bdcbf65dd25_original.jpeg
    80223702f77fcf01e58acd2c99a05bdcbf65dd25_original.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1
Well, I started a clone of the tlm103 circuit a while ago, it sounds great, but I was too lazy to design a PCB for it with through-hole components.
I used to make my own PCB, by hand, by corroding with hydrochloric acid and perhydrol, but I became comfortable, I don't have much patience anymore and then I always end up with fast point-to-point constructions.
Anyway, you can use other types of boards, convenient, cheap.
I'm actually perfectly fine with SMD components, I have been doing SMD for years. Shoot away with SMD if you would be so kind to help me out.
At this rate I might redo the OPA alice round pcb but with SMD parts... PCBway's pricing is over the top for X cut

I'm actually perfectly fine with SMD components, I have been doing SMD for years. Shoot away with SMD if you would be so kind to help me out.
At this rate I might redo the OPA alice round pcb but with SMD parts... PCBway's pricing is over the top for X cut
If you like working with SMDs then you can modify PCB that you have tested and are not happy with, either they have high inherent self-noise or an inappropriate sound for the capsule used.
Have you tried drawing the schematic and then finding a suitable de-emphasis mod for the RK-87?
It seems to me the most logical solution.
Is this a Shoeps circuit without de-emphasis?

Screen Shot 2024-05-19 at 8.55.15 AM.png
My pal, Duffy Weber at Hula Cow Studios just designed an ORS87 board to go into the slightly smaller TLM-102 sized body on AliExpress that is often sold as a 103. The middle actually punches out to fit the Neutrik 10/3 transformer or can be left in and used as a switchable pad. He said he has prototypes on the way and assuming they work as well as his regular ORS87 boards, should be available soon. This should easily fit within the true 103 body.

Shoot away with SMD if you would be so kind to help me out.
I have designed PCB's that were only 1.25"-square, had 8-layers and had over 200 "0201-sized" SMD capacitors and resistors on both sides for The Department of Homeland Security "covert intelligence-gathering and surveillance" projects, should you need any assistance.
At this rate I might redo the OPA alice round pcb but with SMD parts.
If you can get or if you already have this OPA "Alice" PCB, I could "Reverse-Engineer" it for you. Or, if the GERBER and N/C Drill files are available, I have a program that can modify the files for you as well.

I also own 2 - TLM-102's, but I'm not taking them apart!!!

/

If you like working with SMDs then you can modify PCB that you have tested and are not happy with, either they have high inherent self-noise or an inappropriate sound for the capsule used.
Have you tried drawing the schematic and then finding a suitable de-emphasis mod for the RK-87?
It seems to me the most logical solution.
Is this a Shoeps circuit without de-emphasis?
Dont know why I didn't think of that...

I have designed PCB's that were only 1.25"-square, had 8-layers and had over 200 "0201-sized" SMD capacitors and resistors on both sides for The Department of Homeland Security "covert intelligence-gathering and surveillance" projects, should you need any assistance.

If you can get or if you already have this OPA "Alice" PCB, I could "Reverse-Engineer" it for you. Or, if the GERBER and N/C Drill files are available, I have a program that can modify the files for you as well.

I also own 2 - TLM-102's, but I'm not taking them apart!!!

/
The issue is that OPA Alice https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/OPA_Alice_Microphone_round_PCB_cc6947c0.html
in any guise is locked behind pcbway

This pile of shit is definitely a TLM103 I think. But extremely bastardised.
No 60v to start with. No P ch fet both are "2SK170" if those are even not remarked 2SK30 to start with

Attachments

• IMG_20240520_035027.jpg
    IMG_20240520_035027.jpg
    658 KB · Views: 1

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-19-22-57-26-332_com.google.android.apps.docs_1716148693637.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-19-22-57-26-332_com.google.android.apps.docs_1716148693637.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 3
With the information contained within the attached files, there is enough here to "Reverse-Engineer" the PCB. The ONLY piece of information that isn't listed and/or shown anywhere are the mechanical dimensions of the PCB itself and the hole-size and location dimensions of the various connector and mounting holes. With all of that, a new and "original" PCB could be designed.

My 2-cents!!!.....

/

Attachments

• OPA -- PCBoards REV-1.pdf
    702.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Troubleshooting OPA-Alice Mic Rev-1.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • OPA-Alice-BOM_Rev3_PCBWay Community.pdf
    60.3 KB · Views: 1
Back