Are Triad HS-52 gapped?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murdock

Title says it all.
I've read a post from our transformer guru CJ where he says that a Triad HS-52 is not suited for single ended operation because of the nickel core.
The spec states a max DC current of 12.5mA when wired in series (20k) and 25mA when wired in parallel (5k).
Does it matter if it is used in a push pull circuit or single ended as long as the max DC current is not exceeded? No matter if it has a gap or not?

The gap would be required for a single ended direct feed with DC current through the primary, but a transformer without gap can be still used single ended with parallel feed configuration - plate load resistor (or choke) and coupling cap blocking DC to the transformer.
Compare for example RCA Ba2a and Op-6 schematics to see the two different configurations

Thanks. But I know about para feed configuration. I would like to know, if a transformer designed for push pull operation can still be used in single ended when the max dc current is not exceeded.

Ok, thanks! So that rules single ended out.
But what about the dc current spec of the HS52?
In the EMI RS124 compressor for example is a current of 14-15mA through the center winding of the output transformer.
Is the 12.5mA spec of the HS52 for center fed current? Or max imbalanced current?

Latest posts

Back