Behringer ADA8000 modifications..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i'll have to go out of my pre and then drill some holes for jacks on the front (if there is room, or put a jack plate on top and hook them together and leave the ada8000 top off) and then have - and + signal going from a xlr jack to hookup wire to the - and + of the tl074?

like that?

what negatives of having to run unbal potentially cause me?

thanks for the help!
taylor

I don't have a one wire mod for you ...
:roll:
... or any step by step mod for you.

It will require experimentation and double checking. What are you trying to acheive and does it sound so bad in present form ... and compaired to what.

Behringer packs things in quite tightly so it will not be easy to come up with a definative mod that keeps everyone happy.

The are XL3s on the front panel and unless you want to mount it into a completely new box it is probably best to use them.

A small trafo may be cool and the unbalance signal off the trafo could feed the unbal input of the TL074
lots of possiblities.

YES
some people may like to use API line cards

and ...
just in case people had not seen this yet
http://www.jensentransformers.com/as/as062.pdf

On a kind of project sidetrack to this, I'm interested in building basically a 8 channel "snake" using A/D and D/A at some fixed bit rate (16,20,24) /sample rate (44/48).

Here's the idea...

Transmitter:
>-- Line Level In 0 ---> A/D ---> Digital Mult --> Digital Out (Opt/Coax)
>-- Line Level In 1 ---> A/D ---/
>-- Line Level In ...---> A/D ---/
>-- Line Level In 7 ---> A/D ---/

Receiver:
Digital In (Opt/Coax) --> Digital Demux --> Line Level Out N

Now I know about loss due to extra D/A, A/D conversion, etc. - but this isn't for recording so I'm not worried about that. And I don't need any high gain preamps, my line level voltage peaks should be between 3-9 V DC with low impedance.

What do you think would be the most appropriate chip selections, considering cost and ease of creating a PCB (surface mount ICs are fine)? Thanks.

-kdawg

Hello everyone - I'm new to this forum thing - so if I'm doing it wrong then slap me down!
Great forum - a wealth of info - looking forward to making lots of tube gear!
96k to ADAT - wouldn't mind this - capture for DVD/surround
Had a quick look through this topic - has anyone looked at other products for conversion? I looked at the spec/literature for the F***srite 8pre - digi option available - i think it's 'bout £130 now - just missed out on a b-stock for £70 - bastard! Freq selection by single pushbutton on front panel - me guesses this could be a nifty board if you only want AtoD

Just wanted to drop a line about this.. I modded 2 of the channels of my ADA8000 with different opamps and everything was well and dandy.. but now it seems that two of the channels are super distorted(not the ones I modded, so I don't think it's my fault :roll: ) and the lightpipe output is pumping out a lot of hiss.

I'm not gonna be able to take a look at it for a few weeks now, so I wanted to give anybody interested in buying one a heads up that you might end up with a $200 8 channel distortion box :grin:

-mike

I just purchased another unit and have determined that my first unit was
bunk. every even channel hits clipping long before the odd channels.

lame.
I thought it was me.. (Course, I knew to go get another one too.)

was an interesting thread, though...
has anyone actually modded this one except mike_relay with one of the other mods mentioned (simple mic amp bypass, bypass with transformer, cap upgrade)?
any news on this one from the buyers? maybe most people perfectly happy with the unmodded unit?

Cheers

Martin

I keep meaning to bypass the pre. I just haven't had any time lately. Should have some coming up. As soon as I make any headway I'll send something down the pike.

Michael

Having messed around with the unit for some time, I've found it to be quite good-sounding as it is, stock.

I'm not sure that modifying will bring any significant improvement other than the obvious - it not being a Beh* anymore.

But this legitimizing may be important in some setups..

Jakob E.

So an obvious and very undangerous mod is to paint the frontplate to keep the studio guests happy :grin:

if it's really a r*m*e / appnote ripoff, they seem to to make it really good this time, maybe the second real high end behringer after the combinator (using a*p*h*e*x patents)...

Thinking about getting this one just for using not for modding, after reading all that good reviews. even PRR mentioned there no real problem with the pre anyway.
Thank you.
Just thought someone maybe invested in alot of transformers an didn' tell us his behringer is an apogee now...
:grin:

Martin

I've found it to be quite good-sounding as it is
This would be in line with other observations. Assuming at least those other Beh.-pre's are alike (and they will be quite alike I guess)...
As I understood from Rossi who has been able to compare his MX*000 to other mic-pre's, the preamps of those Eurodesks seem not bad indeed.

Hey, perhaps the thing that s*cks the most of those Eurodesks is the ?-part in the name :wink: :thumb:

Regards,

Peter

The Behri sounds kinda like my MP20 with the "tube warmth" knob turned up. :grin:

I can't say that I can hear the improvement. If I need one channel, I always go for the modded one.. since I know it's technically better. :cool:

Yes, the preamps in my *old* MX8ooo mixer are pretty okay. Mine has those famous, now obsolete Rohm 2SB737 super low Rbb input transisors in combination with 2N4401 as complementary (the real complementary would have been the 2SC786).

I don't have an ADA8000, but, in case this has escaped attention, the input transisors are 2SA1316. Those are super low Rbb as well, only 2 ohms (!). The complementary seems to be some kind of SMD type, but nonetheless: not bad. Noise performance should be more than adequate, I would guess. *Perhaps* you could get even better noise by replacing those SMD transistors by the real complementary type 2SC3329. I've replaced SMD transistors by through the hole ones in the past; it's not that difficult. Clip the leads to about 5 mm and bend them so they touch the solder pads. Make sure the pinout is correct.

Or maybe just leave it as it is :wink:

everything sounds pretty nice about the b*'s, i think i will give them a chance...i'm not so fascinated about digimixers so far (mostly because of the handling. the small onesi found worse, but if your rooms are small like mine...) maybe i stay with computerDAW with some kind of remote controller...as long as my bugets are small like now...

btw
Hey, perhaps the thing that s*cks the most of those Eurodesks is the ?-part in the name
nice one :wink:

thank you

Martin

[quote author="gyraf"]Having messed around with the unit for some time, I've found it to be quite good-sounding as it is, stock.

I'm not sure that modifying will bring any significant improvement other than the obvious - it not being a Beh* anymore.

But this legitimizing may be important in some setups..

Jakob E.[/quote]

I'll agree that they work fine as is, but I do believe that an improvement will be made by not going through their pad and gain stage on the line in. I don't hear many pads that are truely transparent, so that in it's own seems that there will be an improvement. As for their usefullness, depending on which genre of music you're listening to, you've probably already heard their use on the radio or tv.

Michael

Hi,

I'm running four of them(unmodded) together with a RME MADI right into a TL Audio VTC 32 ch.
I must say that they sound really decent.

Greets

Latest posts

Back