BUILD THREAD: Capacitance Multiplier boards

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, Everyone,

I just released a capacitance multiplier PCB distributed through Arienne Audio's new website so I thought it would be best to have a place to discuss building this circuit (https://store.arienneaudio.com/project-pcbs/31-capacitance-multiplier-board.html). It's a great utility board to filter off the shelf SMPS's for use with most any build or even commercially available audio product (I have not tested this with anything that uses tubes). I am using this myself for all my new builds and have been slowly replacing PSUs in old builds and the results have been excellent so far. I am also using this in a number of pedal board power supply builds also with great results. This circuit has been tested with open, closed, and encapsulated types of SMPS's and AC/DC modules from various manufacturers.

There were two instances where I thought the Capacitance Multiplier did not work for particular circuits. One was where a ground connection was missing in the audio circuit. The other time the SMPS being used had a much higher amperage rating than the actual draw of the audio circuit. To resolve the latter scenario, I had to chain two PCBs together in series per leg and also add 2000uF of additional capacitance after that. This was the extreme case as all other times only required one board per rail.

The BD140 transistor is rated for 1.5A, but once you get to about 400mA it starts to get noticeably warm to the touch. Anything past that may require the use of heatsinks and/or changing out this transistor with a higher current rated variant.

For those new to DIY I do think it is very important to learn about and build linear power supplies with transformers several times to understand how they function. But once you get deep into building projects these boards provide a more streamlined way to power custom projects.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

interesting! What's the advantage of this design over an LC filter followed by a regulator (for instance an LM317, theoretically good for up to 2.2A)?

In the years long process that has ended with these boards being made available, I have not had any good results using LC filters with the various SMPS's I've tried. I would have preferred that route being the solution for the elegance of needing fewer components.

If you needed more current draw, you could substitute the BD140 with something like a 2n2955 though it would have to wired off board. I have used these boards to power an eight channels of 1290 style preamps (2x 283NV and 1x 283AM circuit) using small heat sinks on the BD140s. They start to get pretty warm after a while but not near hot enough to cause the voltage to start dropping.

The other thing to consider is in my tests, a regulator placed after the filter has always resulted in extra noise.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
Back