Change the display name of two identical USB devices(?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I have two USB-to-MIDI adapters connected to my Windows computer.
They both identify themseves as "MIDI2.0". Of course this is a bit confusing, because you never know which USB adapter you are addressing. I already tried to use a registry editor to change the "FriendlyName" of the devices. I named them "MIDI2.0-1"and "MIDI2.0-2". But they still show up as "MIDI2.0" in application software. Of course it could be that the device name is read from the firmware, in that case I suppose there is no way to change the display name. And maybe I just want something that is simply impossible (as usual...), but I thought it was a good idea to ask if someone knows more about this.
(I don't mind if it is needed to always connect the same device to the same USB port. I don't change them often anyway.)
Just curious...

Don't know about labeling a device, but you should be able to rename it's midi ports.
Once you have assigned your ports you should probably keep connections the same every time.

I rename all my ins and outs in my DAW (Nuendo)

I think this amounts to the same thing as what I have already tried, namely changing the 'FriendlyName'. However, this did not produce the desired result.
(The name changes in the device manager, but unfortunately not in application software.)
I suppose the best thing to do is save the current configuration and 'glue' the USB connectors in place! :)

I have a no name USB-midi cable that cost 10 euros that works reliably
I found the Roland USb midi driver to work with it ,
Maybe apply a different driver to each midi interface , that way they should be labeled differently .

Some MIDI-interfaces have support multiple devices, I think at least the ones from usb-midi.com (Ploytec). You can order a proto PCB from Ploytec (GM5) or commercial product from ESI, Midiface and Nektar at least. Ploytec also sells pre-programmed Atmel chips with GM5 software.
https://www.usb-midi.com/

Both USB/Midi devices are identical hardware , running on a differently labeled yet nominally the same driver ,
Windows doesnt know which is which , so you need to maintain continuity of usb port connection or windows might decide to kick one or other of the drivers ,

Maybe you can find a laptop with two real serial ports?

[EDIT] strike that. Midi needs another clock, so you can't use a serial port without some hack.

Mind you, that's what I'd do. I messed around with real serial ports a lot and I haven't got much appreciation for these USB to serial chips. It works quite well, for one port.

I've just got a board in from Ali Express that needs serial. But I've got time. They delivered something completely different. Sigh...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back