Cheap Chinese metal film....Or are they?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some 1/4 “metal film” these are smaller package and looks wise are much better. Ordered when I wanted some parts quickly (Amazon prime). Measured fine in tolerance and look fine. Guess what happens when I put the heat gun on them, they drop resistance.

Either I’m unlucky or there is a high chance unbranded metal films are often actually carbon film.
There is a high chance, because you are buying from crappy anonymous outlets. Mouser/Digikey/etc, reputable distributors for electronic parts ship just as fast as AP. And paying 2-3ct for a quality part is definitely worth my peace of mind.

I just looked at a BOM for a product I make in China. Resistors (EIA 0805, 2%) were listed at $0.007 each....
Surface mount parts are way cheaper compared to through-hole components.

electronic parts ship just as fast as AP. And paying 2-3ct for a quality part is definitely worth my peace of mind.
That’s not the case in my location,
Mouser is $24 for next day & AP Is next day. For a few values I wanted for a stomp box it was the economical and fastest way to go.

Of course if you want peace of mind order from the trusted suppliers, that’s obvious.

That’s not really what this thread was intended to be about. The second post in the thread is.

Last edited:
Back