Cheap component tester/Oscilloscope

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogs

The adaptor I've been using with my DMM to test transistors is shot....The contacts are very 'iffy', and you have to present the component in the correct orientation.
It's always been a pain to use...now it's worse!

Looking for something to replace it, I came across this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005202074391.html
At the time it was less than £40 ($50) including tax and shipping ... so I thought it was worth a pop...
And I've been pleasantly surprised. Component testing via a DIL ZIF socket -- and inserted in any orientation ... much easier!
Plus -- a simple battery operated 'scope and a signal generator -- and a simple volt meter.
The 'scope worked better than I expected - only 500KHz bandwidth though.

Nicely presented - rechargeable lithium battery.
MCX connectors not my first choice for 'scope leads - you really need a MCX to BNC adpaptor, but htose are not expensive.
Useful little device to chuck in the toolbox -- and it's a really nice change to use non-oriented ZIF connections for component testing!

Can't really go wrong at that price....

Last edited:
The adaptor I've been using with my DMM to test transistors is shot....The contacts are very 'iffy', and you have to present the component in the correct orientation.
It's always been a pain to use...now it's worse!

Looking for something to replace it, I came across this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005202074391.html
At the time it was less than £40 ($50) including tax and shipping ... so I thought it was worth a pop...
And I've been pleasantly surprised. Component testing via a DIL ZIF socket -- and inserted in any orientation ... much easier!
Plus -- a simple battery operated 'scope and a signal generator -- and a simple volt meter.
The 'scope worked better than I expected - only 500KHz bandwidth though.

Good value for money I've found?...

I can't remember who shared this, but for transistors, this seems to be an excellent option-

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/dca75-dca-pro-semiconductor-analyser.html
There's a less feature dense version called the dca55 that can be had for under $100 as well. I've seen the Fnirsi scope is probably fine, but those have been scrutinized closely and seem to have issues. As a brand, you get what you pay for with them.

Fnirsi, I have one of those... I thought it would be an upgrade from my old component tester.

Well, it is not, it can't tell a transistor from a diode, reads capacitors wrong on small values, my old little 9V battery thingy is much better.

The scope function, meh... also connected the tonegen to a tuner and A is now 452Hz apparently...

It's beyond mediocre.

And you can... yes you can...

I've had one of these for years and I'm satisfied.

I've just bought a second one. Special offer on Aliexpress for 6€ something incl. shipping.

I'll use this on the move. I'm curious to see if it's as good, it now has a color display.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Eulxb45

View attachment 126191
Some of my tech friends are using that on a daily basis and they seem happy with it. It cost $40 here because Aliexpress no longer ship to my country.

The only downside with the tool is when you need to measure low value capacitors (picofarads), you have to parallel it with a higher value capacitor to bring up the capacitance otherwise the measurement will be wrong.

Just arrived, in record time! 7 days!

The device does what it is supposed to, the test probes are of dubious quality. No problem, I'll replace them.

I measured small capacitances down to 50pF quite well, below that it becomes increasingly inaccurate. But my Uni-T UT890D+ can't do that either.

I'm satisfied... (y)

1000027733.jpg

1000027735.jpg

Last edited:
Just arrived, in record time! 7 days!

The device does what it is supposed to,
Cheap on Ali and does it's job on diodes, LEDs, transistors, inductors, caps. Had one for long. Very handy, fast and easy-to-use. Probes are crap indeed though. Mine is different colour, but same same.

I have the (later) TC-3 version... very useful. I have a few "spare" pieces of this device if anybody wants to purchase. Can match on-line pricing.

Latest posts

Back