Darlington spinoff: bcarso's preamp circuits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Analag. I'm looking forward to getting married--I realized a long time ago that it wouldn't be a walk in the park, but neither is anything else in life...

BTW everyone, I finally had the opportunity to prototype these two circuits this weekend. They sound fantastic--very fast, detailed and uninhibited, and quite a bit better than most of the opamp-based circuits I've worked with in the past. I used an adapted version FET/bipolar cascode circuit with Nichicon VZ's and some Riken resistors in the front-end of a Marshall JCM900 that I modified yesterday--I've previously been using an opamp-based AD8066 opamp circuit for this mod with pretty good results, but bcarso's circuit sounds better.

Is it just me? I swear I can hear the difference between FET noise and bipolar noise, and there's a certain sweetness to FET/BP combo circuits that I really like.

I've got plans to put a mic preamp together for my recording studio using two of these stages coupled together. Nice work, bcarso! :guinness:

Too bad the ancient url doesnt work anymore, had any luck finding the schematics Jim?
Which forums is Brad active nowadays? I had no luck finding him on facebook.

Looking to build my first preamp and intriguied by the inverted darlington design.

Cheers, Joshua

Back