DIY 1272 for Newbies? C'mon.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="maneco"]but is it possible to tell the type of resistor just by color or number of bands?i thought that had to do with the tolerance and value series,but not with the difference between carbon or metal...[/quote]
In the United States it's pretty standardized and you can tell just based on appearance. I don't know how the European companies were doing it back then. Fact of the matter is, Neve used high quality resistors, most often of tolerances %2 or greater, and they weren't using carbon composition by the time our favorite 80series modules came about. Hopefully someone in the know will clear this up for us. I'd hate to bother Geoff Tanner AGAIN.

Another fabio n1272 pic - some extra amp stages

on left, is a board containing the front part of a ba283
-> not used on the n1272 but was available as an extra
-> put screw terminals on and use for anything!

on the right is a board containing both halves.
-> as used on n1272 but with screw terminals

t03 lives on the main board as does it's trim pot.

n1272-opamps.jpg
[/quote]

I've been reading up on Fabio's m1272 project but still have a couple of questions (and there doesn't seem to be a thread for it so I'll use this one).

1) What kinds of pins and sockets are people using to mount the daughter board on this thing?

2) I bought the specified grayhill xxx-AJN dual deck gain switches which are non-shorting (BBM). Will these induce a pop when changing gain? If so, any workarounds short (sorry) of buying a whole new set of shorting (MBB) grayhills?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,
A P

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]I've been reading up on Fabio's m1272 project but still have a couple of questions (and there doesn't seem to be a thread for it so I'll use this one).

1) What kinds of pins and sockets are people using to mount the daughter board on this thing?

[/quote]

Would the usual suspects for DOA-PCBs work here as well ?

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=7097&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Like:

RS:
Socket : 434-712 RS R2-00
Pins : 433-860 RS R45-00/500 [edited]

mouser p/n
socket:575-034420
male pin:575-310220
both made by mill-max.

(quickly copied from that thread, so please check)

Bye,

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I think I've resolved my problem. I found a big bag of 2000+ tin plated mill-max style pins for cheap at a local surplus place. They are slightly larger than the gold plated ones I bought for my DOAs, but still fit in the sockets I bought for those. I can't locate my calipers, but I'd bet these pins were 0.040 or so. Anyway I had also mistakenly ordered some flush mounted mill-max sockets which are too short to provide clearance over a dip socket (as on Fabio's 312 and WHAT boards), but will work for the 1272 board. These were much cheaper than the "swage mount" sockets I got for the other projects. Incidentally, many of the mill-max sockets will also accept a standard square wire wrap style pin and these can be had for cheap.

The flush mount Mill-Max pins can be found here (DigiKey PN ED5019-ND).

A P

[quote author="giobinein"]:shock:
Are there any difference (in sound result) between 2N3055 and 2N3055H ??[/quote]
Just curious if anyone has some ideas on or hands-on experience with this. It won't matter much as I've understood so far, but did anyone try ?

I have RCA 2N3055H & Motorola 2N3055 here, should have a listen myself as well.

Thanks,

Peter

Back