Does flux affect a circuit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can Google (jeez, those billionaire punks, did you see them on 60 minutes in the hot tub together? :mad: they live right down the street)
up a ton of info on flux and the problems it can cause. Mostly leakage currents.

Hi,

Little question here : when I clean the flux on the PCB (I use Kester solder with rosin) with isopropylic alcohol, I get in some places, around of the "solder points" white residues... it looks like salt to me... Is it normal ?
Have I to keep cleaning until those white residues disapear ?

Thank you,

eD)))

[quote author="vertiges"]Hi,

Little question here : when I clean the flux on the PCB (I use Kester solder with rosin) with isopropylic alcohol, I get in some places, around of the "solder points" white residues... it looks like salt to me... Is it normal ?
Have I to keep cleaning until those white residues disapear ?[/quote]

Sounds like you're using 70% rubbing alcohol, which has a lot of water. When the alcohol evaporates the impurities in the water remain.

Try cleaning the board with a solution of Detergent 8 or Luminox and deionized/distilled water. Get a 1" wide or smaller paint brush and cut off all but about 1/4" of the brush length. Use that brush to really scrub with the detergent. When the board is clean, rinse with deionized water and dry with shop air.

-a

[quote author="Andy Peters"]

Sounds like you're using 70% rubbing alcohol, which has a lot of water.

-a[/quote]

Yes indeed... :oops: I though 70% was correct. I'll buy 99.9 %

Thank you very much for your answer. Very instructive !

eD)))

Really, I HATE all this audiophools, but I do have to say that I´ve heard a BIG improvement by changing a tube socket in a ELAM251 mic. There were two mics. One sounded much better than the other. So, we´ve changed the tubes, than the capsules, and even the housing, but the difference was in the tube sockets. So, go for ceramic ones for tube mics! So, I bet you does can hear the flux if it´s between the capsule and the tube...

Latest posts

Back