does this edgewise meter work in the SSL?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="gyraf"]Mundox,

Don't worry too much about meter precision - you'll never set it by-the-meter anyway.

But if you want precise metering, use a trimmer pot in series with the meter, and set the right range.

Jakob E.[/quote]

I would like the meter to be accurate..My ears will always be the final judge but I still like to have accurate visual feedback. Could I place the trimmer pot on the front panel to set the range or should I pack it into the enclosure after I calibrate it. What resistance trim pot would be suitable?
Thank You!

i have had good luck with a 2 to 2.5k pot in place of the meter reisistor. You just dial it against your actual gain reduction until you are pretty close. I find those Modutec meters to be a bit sticky, at least the two i tried..
As far as the LED's, i think you could take the power from the board where the bridge rectifier would be. Just use a resistor(make sure the wattage is sufficient to prevent it from burning up) in series on the hot leg (the longer leg) to provide the correct current to the LED. This can simply be mounted in the meter by drilling a small hole in the bottom.
Ian

Sorry to resurrect this topic but I'd like to know if I can use this meter on a GSSL clone with Turbo Mod to read In/Out/GR.
Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230420076153

the simpson meter you are referring to seems to be a VU meter type.  the GSSL requires a 0-1 DCmA meter for the original build circuit, but if you are using one of the Expat Audio VU meter buffer PCB for the GSSL you should have no problems. 

sonolink said:
Sorry to resurrect this topic but I'd like to know if I can use this meter on a GSSL clone with Turbo Mod to read In/Out/GR.

i'm not sure are referring to the Expat Audio VU Meter PCB when you say "Turbo Mod".
kind regards,
grant

Grant, thanks for your answer.
The Simpson 1542 is a VU meter indeed. I apologize for the confusion, I was referring to the VU meter mod, yes ::)
Thanks again for your input  ;)

Back