EasyEDA questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liking these conversations as I’ve not long started with easy Eda, but it was intuitive right from the start and I think that’s important with any piece of software.

Perhaps at some point, a Groupdiy library of typical ‘audio’ components/footprints would be useful

I looked at easyEDA-PRO, imported one of my designs with hundreds of parts, 4 metal layers, which worked ok, BUT the program was slow responding, even with a 4.4GHz cpu, and a RTX3070 video card. I do not think I will bother with it.
Regardless how many library parts a program has, a great deal will be obsolete, not included, or new in market, so learning how to make library parts is unavoidable, and should be an early effort in learning a PCB program.
I find most default schematic symbols not logical or descriptive, too big, too many ground pins (one is enough), and I also want them to be helpful in trouble shooting the PCB
I have dabbled with a few, used Eagle for 15 years,, made over 300 boards with it but as Eagle is dropping Linux support and getting nasty pricing I'm planning to use Kicad which is not as good as Eagle but OK, and open source.
The graphics look better in Kicad than Eagle, I must admit.
Both programs are old and have old DOS baggage.
Kicad has a shit ton of configurable key bindings, but also right click context menus. I think I can make it work.
Easycad may work ok for simpler stuff and may have a lot of Utube videos, like many other, or not?

This thread is for EasyEDA users and their questions, not for comparing this app with other programs or bragging. Please discuss this elsewhere, back to the topic.

I was asked how I use 3d models in EasyEDA and if I can explain that. This is relatively simple, you need an external 3D editor that can create .obj and .mtl files, which actually all can do, as this is a very common legacy format.

This is then imported into EasyEDA and assigned to the corresponding footprints.

This video shows this, the process itself is really simple. Ignore the terrible music! :cool:

BTW, if you create 3D models for such applications, you should keep the model low poly and also keep the textures/material size small. The built-in 3D real-time renderers are not the fastest and will thank you if you don't overdo it here.

To use a single ground pin in Schematic, I "append" all ground Pad to a single Pin in Device's connection box..
I also include in the Footprint needed thermal and GND vias, and include Stop layer on those to allow solder to flow into backside of PCB.
Not having to use RoHS solder makes designs easier.
A lot of RF chips have massive amounts of ground connections, showing this on a schematic serves no purpose other than creating a clutter.
I try to use a single sheet schematic if at all possible, with clear signal flows.
Not sure how many of my designs are respins, maybe 25%....
Most are not very big, no back-dilling, or blind and buried vias.

I discovered another oddity. The same way as Kicad used to, the PCB coordinate system has its origin in the top left corner rather than the more intuitive bottom left hand corner. There seems to be no way to change this.

I discovered another oddity. The same way as Kicad used to, the PCB coordinate system has its origin in the top left corner rather than the more intuitive bottom left hand corner. There seems to be no way to change this.
Did you see that? Supposedly you can choose any origin.
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 00-57-50 EasyEDA Std Tutorial.png
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 01-02-52 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 01-05-53 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png
hope that helps

Last edited:
maybe they were thinking ahead to make it look right when you flip it over;-)

That was the reason I dismissed KiCad right from the start, but I had later info that this was configurable.
This is because of the choice to adopt the SVG rules, which are used in graphic design, rather that the Cartesian system, which has always been the rule in drafting.
That's what happens when you let IT guys take over.

Last edited:
>> I believe the information down below should take care of any schematic symbol and PCB-footprint requirements for everybody -- REGARDLESS -- of which schematic/PCB-design program or system that they are using:

--- FREE HIGH QUALITY PCB LIBRARIES FOR ECAD TOOLS ---

>> Short descriptive YouTube video on how this works:

How to use the Libraries​

1. Install the Library Loader Download https://buerklin.componentsearchengine.com/LibraryLoader.php
  2. Run Library Loader from the desktop shortcut:
    LibraryLoader.png
    View attachment 125700
Subsequent library downloads go straight into your ECAD Tool.

Supported CAD tools

View attachment 125699View attachment 125680View attachment 125681View attachment 125682
View attachment 125683View attachment 125684View attachment 125685View attachment 125686
View attachment 125687View attachment 125688View attachment 125689View attachment 125690
View attachment 125691View attachment 125692View attachment 125693View attachment 125694
View attachment 125695View attachment 125696View attachment 125697View attachment 125698

[or bragging] -- I wasn't "bragging"!!! I was just relating personal experiences of what I am expected to do.

>> And, now...............back to our regularly scheduled thread topic!!!

/

I have seen many of those Samacsys libraries, they look like every other machine generated Device, big clumsy, multiple redundant ground pins, smt foot prints missing features like ground vias. Ignores mfg details on footprints.
OK for beginners with thru hole parts, but if you make commercial products you can't trust this type of library.
Learn to make your own, test in reflow to verify footprint designs.
I have an "expert" colleague who uses these Samacsys symbols, schematics are ugly, boards very basic 2-layers.
I'll pass.

Did you see that? Supposedly you can choose any origin.
Yes, you can. I think I expressed myself badly. It is the coordinate sytem that is wrong. Changing the position of the origin does not affect this. In EasyEDA x always increases from left to right (that is OK) and y increases from top top bottom (wrong) and you cannot change that. It means that if you change the origin of a PCB to the bottom left hand corner (where it really should be) the all y values on the PCB are negative!

Cheers

Ian

Last night I had another play with EasyEDA. I thought I would try capturing and laying out my old EZTubeMixer PCB. The first thing I needed was the 32way right angled DIN plug. Fortunately the library includes one made by EPT. Looks OK on the schematic and OK on the PCB. However, it is crucial to be able to place this part accurately on the PCB so it will mate correctly with the motherboard connector. The Eurocard specification places the top fixing hole of the connector at an exact coordinate on the PCB to achieve this. So, on my old PCB design software, when I created its footprint I mde the origin of the footprint as the centre of this hole. All you need to do is place the part on the PCB and adjust its x and y coordinates to the standard values.

Unfortunately the EasyEDA footprint has its origin half way down the left hand side of the body of the connector. The only solution then is to move the origin of the footprint. To cut a long story short, to avoid corrupting the existing library I first saved the original footprint as my own part then edited it to move the origin to the centre of the fixing hole. Then I saved the schematic symbol as my own part and edited it to associate it with my new footprint. Fortunately it worked. I deleted the original connector from the schematic and placed my new symbol on there instead. I saved and then updated the PCB. I could then edit the x and y coords of the connector to the standard values and it snapped into place exactly where it should be.

Phew!

Cheers

Ian

Last night I had another play with EasyEDA. I thought I would try capturing and laying out my old EZTubeMixer PCB. The first thing I needed was the 32way right angled DIN plug. Fortunately the library includes one made by EPT. Looks OK on the schematic and OK on the PCB. However, it is crucial to be able to place this part accurately on the PCB so it will mate correctly with the motherboard connector. The Eurocard specification places the top fixing hole of the connector at an exact coordinate on the PCB to achieve this. So, on my old PCB design software, when I created its footprint I mde the origin of the footprint as the centre of this hole. All you need to do is place the part on the PCB and adjust its x and y coordinates to the standard values.

Unfortunately the EasyEDA footprint has its origin half way down the left hand side of the body of the connector. The only solution then is to move the origin of the footprint. To cut a long story short, to avoid corrupting the existing library I first saved the original footprint as my own part then edited it to move the origin to the centre of the fixing hole. Then I saved the schematic symbol as my own part and edited it to associate it with my new footprint. Fortunately it worked. I deleted the original connector from the schematic and placed my new symbol on there instead. I saved and then updated the PCB. I could then edit the x and y coords of the connector to the standard values and it snapped into place exactly where it should be.

Phew!

Cheers

Ian
The Eagle eurocard connector footprint includes a eurocard. Could perhaps it be imported to easyCad.

>> I believe the information down below should take care of any schematic symbol and PCB-footprint requirements for everybody -- REGARDLESS -- of which schematic/PCB-design program or system that they are using:

--- FREE HIGH QUALITY PCB LIBRARIES FOR ECAD TOOLS ---

>> Short descriptive YouTube video on how this works:

How to use the Libraries​

1. Install the Library Loader Download https://buerklin.componentsearchengine.com/LibraryLoader.php
  2. Run Library Loader from the desktop shortcut:
    LibraryLoader.png
    View attachment 125700
Subsequent library downloads go straight into your ECAD Tool.

Supported CAD tools

View attachment 125699View attachment 125680View attachment 125681View attachment 125682
View attachment 125683View attachment 125684View attachment 125685View attachment 125686
View attachment 125687View attachment 125688View attachment 125689View attachment 125690
View attachment 125691View attachment 125692View attachment 125693View attachment 125694
View attachment 125695View attachment 125696View attachment 125697View attachment 125698

[or bragging] -- I wasn't "bragging"!!! I was just relating personal experiences of what I am expected to do.

>> And, now...............back to our regularly scheduled thread topic!!!

/

Thanks, I’ll take a look at some point.

I won’t be setting the world on fire with my pcb designs (and hopefully not the lab either), but for the bit I do, I’m enjoying the journey and gradually increasing my competency with the program as and when time allows.

Yes, you can. I think I expressed myself badly. It is the coordinate sytem that is wrong. Changing the position of the origin does not affect this. In EasyEDA x always increases from left to right (that is OK) and y increases from top top bottom (wrong) and you cannot change that. It means that if you change the origin of a PCB to the bottom left hand corner (where it really should be) the all y values on the PCB are negative!
At the risk of misunderstanding you again. You can switch the coordinate system to "Cartesian Coordinate", then it's the way you want it (I hope... :geek: )

Look at the coordinate system in the screenshot, this time the Y value increases from bottom to top!
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 19-38-50 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png

The origin of the coordinate system can still be freely selected.

At the risk of misunderstanding you again. You can switch the coordinate system to "Cartesian Coordinate", then it's the way you want it (I hope... :geek: )

Look at the coordinate system in the screenshot, this time the Y value increases from bottom to top!

The origin of the coordinate system can still be freely selected.
Yes, you are right! What a relief.

Now onto my next complaint!. Every other PCB layout program I have used shows you the mouse coordinates in real time on a status bar usually at the bottom of the scree but EasyEDA seems to lack this. Or is that another thing I have missed?

Cheers

Ian

Yes, you are right! What a relief.

Now onto my next complaint!. Every other PCB layout program I have used shows you the mouse coordinates in real time on a status bar usually at the bottom of the scree but EasyEDA seems to lack this. Or is that another thing I have missed?

Cheers

Ian
At the bottom on the right, or is that not what you mean?

Attachments

• Scherm­afbeelding 2024-03-29 om 21.48.38.png
    Scherm­afbeelding 2024-03-29 om 21.48.38.png
    819.1 KB · Views: 0
Back