Entropy continued

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Switching gears back to weather stations ... traveling in Pennsylvania for awhile delayed the installation of my new weather station with remote wind and rain sensors. Now I wait for rain to verify whether it works or not.

Curiously, the manufacturer says to install the rain gauge at least 6 feet above ground. I wonder how that would affect JR's rain gauge(s) performance. (Yeah, like he wants to stir that pot of worms again!)

As for DIY, I made a simple bracket from bit of 1x1 inch angled aluminum stock, an antenna mast bracket, and scrap lumber, installing the same on an antenna mast affixed to the rear deck railing. I am forcing myself to wait for actual rain, instead of pouring a cup of water into it. The wind thing works well, so the only mystery is whether the rain gauge works as promised. Of course, I have just the one, so I will avoid JR's multiple gauge conundrum! :) --- James

rain guage IMG_0062.JPGWind gauge IMG_0078.JPGBracket IMG_0071.JPG

These days I am using two rain gauges... the copper freeze proof puppy and one of my 9 1/2" plastic pails. I get pretty good agreement between the two for decent rain events. The fancy copper gauge struggles with small accumulations.

JR

I have an actual entropy event to report. I recently noticed an odd change in my RO filtered water. I keep several gallons of RO water in one gallon plastic jugs to use during beer brewing that needs 4-5 gallons.

The new symptom was tiny gas bubbles inside the RO water that I have been storing in my kitchen cupboard for several days. The water didn't smell or taste funny but I WWW researched the new symptom. Apparently it is a common symptom of old tired RO membranes that leak tiny particles into the output water. Apparently the tiny particles serve as nucleation sites for the bubbles to form around (my wild ass speculation).

The youtube video showing how to replace the RO membrane was typically vague, but it suggested a two year replacement cycle. IIRC I had replaced my RO membrane only once since I installed my RO system (25-30 years ago) 🤔 . Researching replacement advice for RO membranes I found suggestions as short as 12 months and a more reasonable 3-5 years. I will definitely replace this one sooner than 15-20 years I used last time.

After replacing my RO membrane the amount of gas bubble declined but did not completely clear up. I figured out that I needed to also drain my RO water storage tank. That took a while to empty and will take even longer to refill but while it was empty I recharged the bladder pressure to the 6-8#, required. It was measuring 3# or less.

For about $30 I can add a flow meter to log how much RO water I use but I don't have any idea of how to use that data, so for now I will continue operating by using the typical seat of my pants symptoms.

JR

DON'T DO IT !!

(That explains why your beer tastes so good.) :) / JHR
I have been making my beer with RO water for decades, only recently did it have bubbles in the water storage jugs...

I learned a long time ago that my tap water kills beer yeast (not a good thing).

RO water makes my beer bueno.

JR

Speaking of entropy and fixing stuff:

Richards' Rule - "If you fix something long enough ... eventually, you will break it."

:) JHR

Today's entropy reminder is my DR (done right) string trimmer that refused to fire up this morning (done me wrong). I needed to start cleaning up my over grown rain ditches. I could get it to fire up briefly by priming it with some raw gas poured directly into the carb mouth. Before tearing it apart I decided to let my fingers do the walking and looked for carb rebuild kits if that was a common failure. When that search didn't bear any fruit I dug out my owners manual(s), which included one for the Briggs and Stratton Motor too (a class act). But I still didn't have any good specific guidance.

When I was a kid I loved tinkering with small gas engines, these days not so much. I bit the bullet and started tearing it apart. I removed the carburetor and after some handling I started to hear the internal float rattling around (I don't think it did at first). I disassembled the carb by unbolting the gas bowl. The almost empty gas bowl smelled very ungas like, clearly some funky fuel remnants. I reattached the bowl and connected the fuel line. After tilting the motor back into the normal orientation the carb refilled with good gas.

Now that I know what the carb looks like I could check and it looks like B&S uses this same or similar carb on tens of SKUs. That is actually smart. While I have still not found an exact replacement, there are lots of new carbs that look close in the $15-$35 price range.

Tomorrow I will reassemble the DR and see if it runs correctly, If not I can order a cheap replacement carb.

JR

I was actually trying to bring in a little more lighthearted self reflectedness ,
that was obviously lost in translation ,

I was actually trying to bring in a little more lighthearted self reflectedness ,
that was obviously lost in translation ,

Howdy Mr. T - While I fully appreciate the humorous direction your suggest ... given our current political climate over here, suggesting anything should "Trump" anything else is ... well ... um ... sorta contraindicated! :) Similarly, I would not suggest we say we are "Biden" time either! :)

Please try again! :) James

Politics worldwide has become a media circus ,
the AI is manuvering us closer to civil strife the closer the political margins get ,
its not all about you America , same shit is happening everywhere .

and another thread corrupted.... :rolleyes:

[edit- I could actually move these posts somewhere else, like to the "Veer" thread I set up for moving off topic posts to, but that would be unfair to people who can't disappear posts at will. I will suffer this new form of internet noise, like everybody else has too. /edit]

JR

Last edited:
@JohnRoberts Back on the Briggs topic. In 2020 I bought a new "Craftsman" lawnmower from...hmmm....Lowes? Anyway, ran great 2020, 2021, 2022. In 2023 it refused to run. With a blast of "ether" spray into the air intake it would roar to life for a few seconds then die. Multiple tries, same.

I am NOT a small engine guy, but my hunch is a carb problem. Is it easy to just say "hell with this carb" and just bolt on a new one?

There used to be an older gentleman here in town who was an expert on these, but he either retired or died. One or two other shops here have their "method" for repairs....replace the entire engine.

Bri

@JohnRoberts Back on the Briggs topic. In 2020 I bought a new "Craftsman" lawnmower from...hmmm....Lowes? Anyway, ran great 2020, 2021, 2022. In 2023 it refused to run. With a blast of "ether" spray into the air intake it would roar to life for a few seconds then die. Multiple tries, same.

Ethanol has killed many small engine fuel systems. I had fuel lines dissolve in an old chain saw of mine.
I am NOT a small engine guy, but my hunch is a carb problem. Is it easy to just say "hell with this carb" and just bolt on a new one?
easy if you know which carb to buy. I had to remove this one to get a good look at it. Now I see multiple similar looking candidates
There used to be an older gentleman here in town who was an expert on these, but he either retired or died. One or two other shops here have their "method" for repairs....replace the entire engine.

Bri

When I was a kid I loved working on small engines.
1714451160815.jpeg
This little sucker was something like 2 hp lawn mower engine. I even milled the head in shop class to add some compression. ;)
===
Yes, of course the problem is/was the carb... If the problem was a stuck float valve, I may have already fixed it. 🤔 Tomorrow I will put it back on the engine and see if it starts working properly. If not there are similar looking carbs for sale on Amazon.

I think I already said this...

JR

Politics worldwide has become a media circus ,
the AI is manuvering us closer to civil strife the closer the political margins get ,
its not all about you America , same shit is happening everywhere .
I agree - but I come here to escape politics and all that jazz on the news programs - please do not remind me of it. I think you once asked to move the topic to the brewery ... JHR

I agree - but I come here to escape politics and all that jazz on the news programs - please do not remind me of it. I think you once asked to move the topic to the brewery ... JHR
This is the correct forum to talk about the never ending parade of equipment failures and subsequent repairs (science not politics).

Sorry if I tend to personalize my little dramas and over share.

Back on topic, Today I will reinstall the carburetor and see if it works. If not I will search the motor for a specific model number. It looks like there may be at least two different common B&S carbs being sold, perhaps with different jetting for different horsepower models. I didn't see any markings on the Carburetor.

[edit- a closer inspection found a 6 digit number molded into the carburetor so now I can order a replacement with higher confidence (if needed). /edit]

[update2] well the problem was not the float valve, it still doesn't continue to run more than briefly after priming with raw gas, but at least I know the carb # now. I ordered a new carb with new air filter and even a fuel line filter ($25). I needed a new air filter and those are almost $12 by themselves so pretty inexpensive. /update]
1714495195344.png

JR

Last edited:
I decided to give it one more try priming it with raw gas into the mouth of the carburetor, before I stash it in the corner of my carport to wait for parts.

Of course this time the motor kept running, Now its purring like a kitten. :rolleyes:

I'll keep the new carb I ordered as a spare, and will replace the dirty air filter, as that is needed. If I have the motivation I may install the new fuel filter too.

===
Now to string trim some ditch.;)

My gut feeling late yesterday was that maybe it was fixed... I need to trust my gut more. 🤔

JR

My beer supply chain is settling down into a comfortable rhythm. With a postage scale under the keg I can tell how much beer I have left. I am down to around 10# of beer which is only a few days at present consumption rates. That means it is time to apply pressurized CO2 to the next keg (25# for 3 days) to carbonate the beer.

Last night I connected the 25# line to pressurize the next keg and I noticed it leaking CO2 from around the top seal.
iu
I like that this is a mature technology BUT.... The top seal is the oval, egg shaped lid that closes off the top of the keg. The oval looks symmetrical so it shouldn't matter, but it was leaking. This morning I removed it, rotated it 180' then reinstalled it. No more leak. 👍 I have a small hand pump that I can l use in the future to test for leaks right after filling the kegs. I may get a marker pen and indicate the proper orientation with an index mark.

Today I threw away 26 gallons of empty beer bottles that are no longer useful.
80050-6603673dc48921525802ec707d78c8a7.data

Scavengers have already collected the baseboard heaters and fluorescent fixtures. I expect the empty beer bottles to be a harder sell.

JR

Back