EQU47 Mic Bodies | Orders open on January 19th 2013

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly question - for those of you who have purchased the body, have you applied a finish to it?  I'm totally at a loss of how to do that.  Should I just use it "raw" and it will look great with time(right now it seems to reveal light scratches very easily) or should I be applying some sort of protective/decorative finish?  Thanks for your help!

Skylar said:
Just to reiterate...2/3rds of us are taking a break. The remaining member, Eric, is now at the helm. At his day job, he is a product manager at major audio company. He has plenty of experience guiding audio products from inception to mass retail. And that certainly involves a healthy dose of QA.
Sooooo...is Eric still at the helm regarding another EQU47 batch?  :) Any news is good news.

Cheers

Hello, I am an associate of Skylar's managing purchasing and delivery of the next EQU47 production. I wanted to let you know that we have begun production on a new batch!

The EQU47 mic body kit is in production with delivery anticipated for December 2012 or January 2013. We're excited to be able to offer the mic body once again for a limited period. There will be a limited quantity, so we encourage you to pay close attention and order fast when these become available. As usual, we will send out status updates on this forum, the Prodigy Pro white market thread and email all of you who have signed up to our mailing list.

I have been away from the forum for several months. I just moved to southern California.
I unpacked my big-boxes-of-DIY and was looking through all the stuff that I haven't touched in over a year.

It had crossed my mind several times over the last several years to post photos like the ones I'm about to share. For whatever reason I did not.
However, I decided "F-it. I put a ludicrous amount of my personal time + effort into the EQU47 to make it better. Countless protos, samples, trial&error, and pushing the various suppliers to make it simply better."

So, now I'm going to do something it is not in my nature to do—toot my own horn and show some examples of why the EQU47 is great.

This is a headbasket that goes on a Telefunken USA U47 repro that sells for $8,495.
You can buy this headbasket for $349 from Telefunken USA (or whatever they call themselves these days).
I am about 90% certain that this headbasket was made by Cleveland Wire Cloth in Ohio, USA (but I'm 99.9% certain that it's at least made somewhere in the US).

Here is it beside an EQU47 headbasket.

A few things of note.

• The Tele HB looks taller, but that's actually because it is slightly closer to the camera. The dimensions on both headbaskets are identical to within 0.1mm according to my measurements with three exceptions:
    1) top mesh corner radius of EQU47 is larger than that of T-funk
    2) top ring on EQU47 is 6mm, top ring on T-funk is 5.5mm
    3) edge radii of top and bottom ring on EQU47 are smaller than T-funk

I believe the EQU47 to be more accurate in all three cases above.

• The finish/build quality on the EQU47 is just miles above the T-funk in my opinion. Please formulate your own.
You can see tons of scratch/machining marks in the brass beneath the plating on the T-funk. This means that (a) the raw brass headbasket was not polished well before plating and (b) the plating is thin.
The solder point where the side rail attaches to the bottom ring on the T-funk is quite sloppy.
The T-funk side rail itself is embarrassingly crooked.
I was not able to photograph it well, but the top mesh on the T-funk was under so much pressure during forming that the outermost and innermost mesh layers have become flattened and distorted, squeezing the middle mesh between them like cheese through a grater.
You can also see that the T-funk side rails are just flat bar stock; whereas, the EQU47 side rails are bent to a very large radius just like the originals. *attention to detail*

• I believe that the T-funk middle mesh (the smallest of the three layers) is incorrect. I have measured it to be larger than the original Neumann specimens measure.

Will any of this affect sound? Most likely not. What, then, does all this mean?
There are two points I take away from this.

1) The EQU47 headbasket is very well made, and we paid *attention to detail* to get it to that level. Much earlier in this thread there was a comment that the plating quality looked "Chinese." Not to insult the poster, but I find the comment funny, especially considering how the US-finished headbasket above looks in comparison. It's interesting how county of origin influences our opinions. The point is there can be great stuff made in China; there can be crap stuff made in China. There can be great stuff made in America; there can be crap stuff made in America. And the same goes for the rest of the world. I think the poster of this comment was implying that the EQU47 plating quality looked cheap to him. I disagree with fervor.

2) Headbaskets are hard to make. It took us years to get the EQU47 headbasket to this level. Telefunken sells an $8,495 product with what I believe is an inferior headbasket on top of it—they haven't quite figured it out yet. It takes serious assembly process design combined with iteration to get it right. Then it's a matter of pushing & pushing the suppliers to do things better than they ever have before. Again, this is true regardless of manufacturing location.

I guess I am just proud of what I have done, wanted to share, and wanted to plug the product.
I am not trying to slam Telefunken; I'm just commenting on what I see. Again, please form your own opinion and discuss.

I guess I am just proud of what I have done

Nothing wrong with that. Most here have followed the whole process BTW. But I guess it doesn't hurt to repeat you did a fine job. Firstly, to take the initiative and actually make it happen. Secondly, your eye for detail. And thirdly, making the manufacturer properly execute the thing.

Yes, the Telefunken headbasket is less smooth for sure. (I think the earlier ones were from Flea rather than the US maker.)
Good pictures, too.

Hello! I just wanted to provide an update about the upcoming shipment of mic bodies. We are still on track to open orders on January 19th.

I also wanted to mention revisions to our return policy and cart options that have been made as a result of forum member chunger's negative experience with equinox.

At the time of purchase, you will have the option to insure the total value of your purchase as one of your shipping options. This will result in a higher shipping charge, but will provide a clear indisputable record that the full value of the shipment is insured. I intend to go out of my way to make sure you have a positive experience with equinox, it's products, and services. All deliveries will be confirmed through USPS, and if it is shown that a package has not been delivered I will work with you to provide any information necessary to make sure you are either reimbursed or a replacement product is sent to you.

Our policies formerly read:

"All sales are final upon receipt of payment. If there are any defects noticed upon delivery of shipment, please notify us immediately at [email protected]. We will do the best within our capabilities to accommodate your needs or exchange parts if there is a clear need. Please submit photos of any issues to help us understand how to best help you. Refunds and returns are accepted on a case-by-case basis and will only be taken into consideration if we are notified of issue(s) within 30 days of delivery. It is left to the discretion of Equinox Systems to determine the validity of claims related to product defects. Equinox Systems is not responsible for any damage or loss that occurs to the product during transit after the product has left our facility; any such damages or losses are the responsibility of the courier."

And will be modified to read:

All sales are final upon receipt of payment. If there are any defects noticed upon delivery of shipment, please notify us immediately at [email protected]. We will do the best within our capabilities to accommodate your needs or exchange parts if there is a clear need. Please submit photos of any issues to help us understand how to best help you. Refunds and returns are accepted on a case-by-case basis and will only be taken into consideration if we are notified of issue(s) within 30 days of delivery. It is left to the discretion of Equinox Systems to determine the validity of claims related to product defects.  Equinox Systems is not responsible for any damage or loss that occurs to the product during transit after the product has left our facility; any such damages or losses are the responsibility of the courier. Delivery confirmation will be requested for each outgoing shipment. At the time of checkout you will be provided the option to insure your package for its full value. In cases where insurance is purchased and the shipment has not been confirmed delivered, we will provide any support necessary to retrieve your funds from the courier.

I sincerely hope that no one has this kind of experience with Equinox moving forward. It is a major bummer to lose a package of this cost in the mail. I hope this measure will provide confidence that we are doing everything we can allow you to protect yourself from losses when doing business with us. Because Mr. chunger's disappointment with Equinox has been made public record on his thread. I would like to make it known that Mr. chunger has recently been reimbursed in full and though this happened late... it is hopefully better than never. I will continue to take any measure possible to make sure you have a positive experience when purchasing products from us.

Cheers to the New Year!

Original post updated. Here are the key points:

1. We will be supplying Female 7-pin 691 series Binder connectors with limited availability.

2. Those who order on opening weekend will receive a free female Binder with each mic body purchase. This offer will expire at 12am Central Standard Time, end of day January 20th.

3. EQU47 ordering will open at 9am Central Standard Time on Saturday, January 19th.

4. Pricing announced as follows:

EQU47 MIC BODIES

The more you buy, the better the deal! Plus a Free Female 7-pin Binder (30 dollar value) will be included with each mic body purchased for a limited time only while supplies last!

299.95 Single Mic Body Purchase | 30 Dollars Saved
549.95 Dual Mic Body Purchase | 110 Dollars Saved
1149.95 Four Mic Bodies Purchased | 170 Dollars Saved

MATCHED PAIR CAPSULE PROMOTION

Order two mic bodies with a matched pair of Q47-D capsules

879.95 Dual Mic Bodies + Q47-D Matched Pair | 195 Dollars Saved

Please contact [email protected] with any questions!

So excited to be offering the mic bodies again. Keep your eyes peeled for new parts to be added to our portfolio over the next year. The first plan with funds generated from this production is to load up on cases and shockmounts for the EQU47 body. Please sign up to our mailing list at http://www.equinoxsystems.net for the most immediate updates on availability of new parts. Thank you!

Hi Skylar and Ekiner,
i'm having trouble finding the $$ for a pair of these beauties,
will you do other runs later this year ?
regards,
Francois

I'm hoping to keep a more consistent supply from here on out, but it is always a challenge to manage the long lead time of production and cash flow to keep inventory. Just check the webstore at www.equinoxsystems.net when you have funds available and hopefully we will have stock.

thanks for your interest!

Has anyone received their EQU-47's yet? No big deal, I'm just curious as to whether the mic bodies have been 'refinished' yet and are on their way ;)

Thanks,
Braeden

arhall said:
My parcel is on it's way. I've tracking it thru all USPS sort facilities. Hopefully it have leaved US now heading for Scandinavia.  :)

I'm guessing customers that have had their orders shipped will receive a tracking number in the mail? or do we locate the tracking number elsewhere?

Thanks for the quick reply

useme2305 said:
i received my tracking number with my shipping confirmation e-mail.

maybe you should check your spam folder?

Ah if that's the case then it hasn't shipped yet, no worries!

Thanks everyone

(p.s. I've checked my spam folder ;))

Back