First DIY finished: G7! Ground?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMB

Hi! My first DIY is finished, and I´m really proud and surprised how great my G7 mic is sounding, thank you so very very much Mr Gyraf! :guinness: I have used Gustavs board and ioaudios mic body, many thanks to you aswell! :thumb:

When I first powered it up it sounded really good from the beginning, but when i recorded i could hear some crackles and pops. Kept it running for a couple of hours when i frustrated searched this forum for an explanation/solution to my problem. Found it after some hours (of course, this is a great forum!), where someone suggested that a new tube need some burning time to work properly. I went back to the mic and the crackles and pops where gone!

Anyway, a question about hum and ground: I find the mic to be silent, but honestly i don´t have much to compare with. And I find it hard to know if the little noise i hear is from the mic itself or if it´s just picking up the sounds from the rooms (computer, kitchen etc). Anyone who can explain how to tell the difference? If i connect the mic straight to the input of my lynx sound card, is the noise registrated there the internal noise of the mic?

And ground question: This is what i did: In the psu i connected pin1 of the xlr3 to pin1 of xlr7 (ground). Then i connected pin1 of xlr7 to the metall psu box, and at the same point i also connected the ground of the power inlet. In the mic i jumped that incompleted pcb track (heater 0V to ground) on gustavs board. Had it this way for a while, sounded great. Then I also connected pin1 in the mic (heater 0v/ground) to the mic body (lug of the xlr), no big difference i think, maybe even quieter. But is that a potential ground loop, I mean with grounding in both the psu and mic body? Do you recommand to change anything or? (I have also heard something about "working as an antenna" when grounded in two places.)

Thank you!

//Martin

Latest posts

Back