G7 tube noise

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billsbuddy2

I thought I would drop a note to those folks coming to the end of their g7 project regarding tubes. I bough 2nd hand Zaerix EF86's. Firstly I had static and hiss. I sorted the static by cleaning the valve pins with fine sand paper. That got rid of the static. I still had a fairly obvious noise floor. I decided to try some new valves. In my case Mullard EF86's. The difference is black and white. Noise floor gone and tone returned in bucket loads!! All I can say is stick with it. This project is worth the effort. The mic is superb. To give you an idea: I a/b against a Rode NT2 which I used for years. Once I got used to the G7 the Rode sounded 'brittle' and 2 dimensional. I was shocked at the quality I had been working with. The tracks recorded off the g7 sit easily in the mix (I use Neve 1073 admittedly but then the rodes went through that to!)
If you need stainless steel grille/mesh in Uk go to:http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=18182&highlight=grille&sid=337ba0ceeb324ad4aed7d92c02d36a27 and good luck!!

Its early days but I will put some untreated mono tracks up on different things. I found it hard to hear samples and I want to make it eaier for others :grin:

Latest posts

Back