Green pre troubleshooting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a couple of the NTE 123AP for Q1 and 2 until the BC550's arrive, and the pin voltages before IC's inserted seems normal now.

Got the voltages right, the CMRR dialed in, all the parts back on the board and........back to square one. Still hissing on - side. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

All of the voltages are correct with IC's inserted, EXCEPT IC2 Pin 7. Where I should have 0V I have .89v, which has got to be my noise. Where could this be coming from? I have tried different 5532s with the same result.

OK. 3 consecutive 5532's from the same batch were bad. No wonder I couldn't find the problem. The new ones I bought with different #'s on them are fine. That was a long and arduous hassle-a-thon. I guess the zeners that failed destroyed the first IC, but that was IC1. The problem showed up in IC2. The zeners probably failed because I had the transistor oriented the wrong way. That still doesn't explain IC2, except maybe I got a hold of a bad batch. I hope that it works after I close the box. thanks for tolerating my "research". :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

Hey Man!

Glad to hear you are all up and running. It has been a long road but you can now sit back and enjoy your pres! I am still loving mine and thinking of building more.

Cheers

Matt

Hello to everyone,
First of all, I would like to thank everyone from this forum for their great work.
I started diy stuff one year ago, with simple guitar gear.
I'm a sound technician, so I moove to studio gear.
My first try is a green preamp, 4 channels.
I've just got a problem on it, and I was searching on the web, apparently no one had this before.
I've read that 3 caps need to be 63v, others can be less.
My power supply delivers +14.8v/-15.2v.
On all channel, the "green" 10R resistor burn everytime.
On all channel, the second "green" 47u caps blow up the frst time I powered the unit.
On all channel, the first "green" 47u cap seems to be not fine...
They are elna 47uF 25v.
v14all.gif

I will replace all caps with higher voltage, but if anyone has an idea on this, I'd be happy to know it.

have a nice day!

Thank you Peter for replying!
This is my next move, but I'm surprised that it happened on the 4 channels.
I took the V14 pdf, and etched the board myself.
here is the link for the picture
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7235/v14all.gif

So I finally had time to do this...
Newbie mistake...
As on every board, the same thing blow up/burn everytime, I thought I f#*k up my mods (putting 48v, phase, led meter & hpf on a separate board). I was right.
4 NE5532 dead, few resistors, few capacitors...

Conclusion :
YES SAM, DOUBLE CHECKED IS NEEDED!  ;D
Thanks to every one, this forum is just awesome, I'll post pics around here (where exactly in the forum?) of my 4 channel Green mic pre, and soon, my Gyraf G IX...

Latest posts

Back