Hello GroupDIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kettnsaeg

HI there!

I'm from Munich and I've been into recording music for a while now but mainly in the box. Building a MP573 mic pre kinda got me hooked and I guess the first 6 slot lunch box is going to be full sooner than I expected. Usually im not that actively writing but I've found quite a few cool sounding projects, most of which I'd say are out of my comfort zone regarding to complexity (D-LA2A for example) but we'll se... :)

Since I've been reading before creating an account here already - thank you for all your posts and informations!

Best,
Thomas

Welcome Thomas! You’re on a similar path to me! I built a MP573 before embarking on the DLA-2A. The DLA-2A is a great build experience!

Did you end up building a EQ573 alongside the MP? I’ve been wondering how useful that addition is.

Thank you shoetique!

so far I have built a MP573, the EQ573-II in question , a CP5176 and a MU524.

TL-DR: I have lent out my MP573 atm, the gain pots are too sensitive imo but it could be cool to control the signal that is being driven into saturation/clipping by the preamp.

Disclaimer: I don't have my MP573 in my home-studio right now, so I have only tested the EQ573 "standalone".

It is only an enhancement EQ but no corrective one as the Qs are to wide to do surgical moves.

What I find unpractical about it in general (using it in standalone mode right now) is that the gain pots, the inner black ones, are not stepped. These pots are supposed to have a range of 32dB to 36db (-18dB to +18dB) of gain but are rotating only about 3/4 of a full turn - as usual with these types of pots.

Reproducing an EQ curve without making a screenshot of its curve in plugindoctor and matching THAT is impossible for me and I'd rather use pretty much any EQ VST instead.

Regarding it's usefullness as an addition to the MP573... I'd say you are able to control better with what you are driving the preamp (into saturation/clipping) since you have the possibility to shape the tone before the output stage. It also adds a few harmonics at low levels (-75ish db, which might be interesting in combination with the MP573), the HPF is a godsend, the middle Q is pretty versatile for cutting/boosting and it's obviously able to make a really nice smiley curve.

I'll write up and let you know what I think of the EQ573 when I have the opportunity to use it as an insert in the MP573 if you are interested in that. I can also look at other details of the module with plugin doctor if you are interested in such things, but Im no expert in that program. Also maybe that would be enough to summarize it an own thread.

PS: Also I've seen your video on the D-LA2A, it's what told me that it's OK to start this project.. ;-) keep it up!

Last edited:
I appreciate the insight kettnsaeg! I’d love to hear more once you get a chance to use it as an insert. Sounds like that and the plugin doctor analysis would yield some great info.

Im glad the video was useful! The more people with DLA-2As the merrier!

Back