Help Troubleshooting volume loss PLEASE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so that would be connecting the probe between v1 pin1 and GND, right?
Yup

It's a One Spot 9v/1700mA filtered PSU
Even with horrible efficiency on the boost converter, that should be plenty. The tubes shouldn't draw more than 1-2mA; you said something about having measured 190V DC, that should be well under 1W, so some hundreds of mA from 9V, allowing for lots of loss. The two opamps shouldn't draw more than 10-15mA in total.

That OneSpot is a switchmode one, though. How old is it? Even if it's new, i wouldn't be surprised if it had crap Chinese electrolytics which are... not trustworthy. At least / especially for testing, a bench/lab supply would be preferable (that way you could also keep an eye on the current draw).

That part of the circuit belongs to the cabsim and right now is being left out.
That still doesn't rule out one of the opamps oscillating and messing with the power supply. Unless you also physically disconnected the 9V going to the opamp sections (too)...

One question: what signal shall I use? Still my guitar or a sine wave? If a sine wave would 1k be fine?
A sine wave would indeed be a known, stable "control" quantity.

That OneSpot is a switchmode one, though. How old is it? Even if it's new, i wouldn't be surprised if it had crap Chinese electrolytics which are... not trustworthy. At least / especially for testing, a bench/lab supply would be preferable (that way you could also keep an eye on the current draw).
These PSU are supposed to be high quality (at least for guitar).
The other option I have is this:
IMG_20240416_110137~(1).jpg

It's Chinese too 😂😂

That still doesn't rule out one of the opamps oscillating and messing with the power supply. Unless you also physically disconnected the 9V going to the opamp sections (too)...
You're right!! BUT the opamps are on sockets, so I can pull them out and that would be complete isolation, right? 😉

A sine wave would indeed be a known, stable "control" quantity.

Excellent!

Thanks a lot for your help :)
Sono

Hi Sono, sorry, I wasn't able to reply sooner.
Khron makes some very good points.
Would be interesting to monitor the HV DC supply to the tube, when it sounds ok versus when it doesn't. May well be that boost-converter "runs out of steam".
This. Since you posted yesterday that the volume drop happens even with the preamp alone, this would also have been my suggestion. And measure it directly across C1, common (black) probe of your multimeter to the negative terminal of C1 and the other (red) probe to the positive terminal of C1. Leave the multimeter connected and play guitar through the preamp either into your amp or the interface. Note the voltage right after you power up the preamp, and observe what happens during playing and when the volume drop occurs.
You can even go further and before you do that, measure your HV B+ but without the tube inserted (no guitar playing required for that). Is the B+ across C1 much higher without the tube inserted?

That being said, I'm still trying to make sense of the voltage measurements you took. They change with every new measurement and I'm starting to think your probe tips (actually, what kind of probes are you using?) may not be making a good connection or, even worse, you have a bad ground connection point somewhere that you're using when you're measuring DC volts.

It might also help us if you could provide pictures of the actual circuit board (both sides if you can).

That still doesn't rule out one of the opamps oscillating and messing with the power supply.
Couldn't this also be the case with the tube in the preamp circuit?

L

Hi again,
I've had a bit of trouble dealing with my scope TBH....

But first of all the pics you asked:

My meter with its probes:
IMG_20240416_170851~(1).jpg

The borrowed scope checking the oscillator signal on the osc output:
IMG_20240416_180210~(1).jpg

The oscillator:
IMG_20240416_173500.jpg

The board top side:
(just in case you're wondering, the yellow cable is the mod suggested by usbdevice to properly terminate the unused part of IC3
IMG_20240416_170930~(1).jpg

The board bottom (components) side:
IMG_20240416_170943~(1).jpg

So I connected the multimeter across the positive side of C1 and GND and the scope across V1p1 and GND and fired the PSU up. The multimeter went up to +/-170VDC and kept dropping for the entire 10 mins I measured (see attached accelerated vid), and the scope, after pressing the "autoset" button wouldn't show anything except Vpp=?

View attachment lv_0_20240416210304.mp4

I seem to be kinda useless with the scope so I did a second vid with the multimeter across V1p1 and same thing: voltage drops continously:

View attachment lv_0_20240416210640.mp4

I hope this provides some useful info...
Thanks for your help and advice :)
Cheers
Sono

So the PSU is loosing power although not all of it, right? What could be the cause and where to begin looking?

One question: I couldn't get hold of 120uH/2A coils so I used a 120uH/1A. Could that be the cause?

I pulled out the plate resistors to isolate the PSU and measured the HV output voltage: same thing. It raises to 170vdc and slowly drops down :(

Thanks for your help :)
Cheers
Sono

Last edited:
Yes, looks like the HV supply is not working properly. I would also follow the schematic and get the proper inductor.
Since you have a scope now, you could start by looking at the signal at the gate of the mosfet. See if autoset works, and if not, set the horizontal to 20 or 50us or even 100us, adjust the trigger level until the waveform is stable and adjust the vertical until you can see the entire waveform. Take a picture or video.

@Khron What would be the effect of the inductor saturating?

I swapped the inductor. Now power goes up to 190vdc but after drops down again slowly :(

I'll try to check the Mosfet with the scope and report back :)

Thanks!!
Sono

Yes, looks like the HV supply is not working properly. I would also follow the schematic and get the proper inductor.
Since you have a scope now, you could start by looking at the signal at the gate of the mosfet. See if autoset works, and if not, set the horizontal to 20 or 50us or even 100us, adjust the trigger level until the waveform is stable and adjust the vertical until you can see the entire waveform. Take a picture or video.

@Khron What would be the effect of the inductor saturating?

Does this make any sense.
The scope is across the mosfet gate and GND. I set it with the autoset button:

IMG_20240416_235325.jpg

https://uk.farnell.com/w/c/semiconductors-discretes/fets/single-mosfets/prl/results?channel-type=n-channel&drain-source-voltage-vds=400v_to_950v&drain-source-on-state-resistance=0.00125ohm_to_0.295ohm&transistor-case-style=to-220fi_to_to-220sis&range=inc-in-stock|exc-delivery-surcharge|inc-in-stock|exc-delivery-surcharge&sort=P_PRICE

"Just in case" - one of these should net you (at least in theory) lower losses, but if the current IRF740 doesn't even get warm (which it kinda shouldn't), that's just a "maybe"...

the multimeter across V1p1

Is this supposed to be the plate of the first triode?

D2 is definitely a UF4007 (not a plain 1N4007), right?

Just to be on the safe side, i'd even consider replacing the 2N3904. Might also want to triple-check the values of R2, R5 & R6, and that they are indeed connected (properly) to the nodes they're supposed to.

Videos show about 0.5A draw @ 9.1V - where's that 4.5W getting burned off? Inductor and/or MOSFET? Some heat should be noticeable, one way or another.

Just be careful when poking around, the exposed tab of the MOSFET will have 100-200V on it...

Actually, I kinda remember after disconnecting power, feeling quite a bit of heat coming from one of the TO-92s. I guess in the back of my head I assumed it would be the 7806 reducing voltage but maybe it was the IRF740.

I'll check everything and report back.
Thanks for your help Khron :)
Cheers
Sono

I swapped the inductor. Now power goes up to 190vdc but after drops down again slowly :(
What did you swap it for? I thought you said you couldn't get a 2A inductor.

Videos show about 0.5A draw @ 9.1V - where's that 4.5W getting burned off? Inductor and/or MOSFET? Some heat should be noticeable, one way or another.
Part of that is probably the 6V filament supply maybe?

Actually, I kinda remember after disconnecting power, feeling quite a bit of heat coming from one of the TO-92s. I guess in the back of my head I assumed it would be the 7806 reducing voltage but maybe it was the IRF740.
Or the inductor?

L

What did you swap it for? I thought you said you couldn't get a 2A inductor.
Sorry for the confusion Lenny :)

I began populating the board while waiting for the 2A inductors to arrive and put a 1A in the meantime. I didn't think it would be a problem. I thought that at most I would get a bit less voltage and would be able to get a taste of the build in the meantime. But then I forgot about it!! :(
So now I'm using a 120uH/2A inductor.

Or the inductor?
No, I think it was one of the 2 TO-92. the inductor is covered in some kind of rubber and the feeling was metallic.
Anyway I'm going to check all that in half an hour.

Cheers
Sono

Latest posts

Back