Is this a correct AC plug wiring?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studiogearlover

Hey Guys,

I have just received a Yamaha product from the UK, second hand. The AC plug looked a bit off so I have opened it and saw this (attached). Is this a correct wiring? It seems to be home made and not sure if this is how a safe 2 prong Type C plug should be wired on this UK plug. So we have only 1 phase and an earth? I thought 2 prong wires are without the earth...

Could you please help? Something is off here or am I stupid... ?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240412_182349.jpg
    20240412_182349.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
That is the correct UK wiring.
Brown goes to live via the fuse, blue goes to Neutral. The Earth is unconnected on an appliance with a 2-core mains cable.

The wiring, especially the live, is pretty shocking though and should be redone properly.
Thanks...I thought that middle, connected to the fuse is so cleaned off, looked like an earth wire... and looking at the them very close, some tiny copper wires are just poking everywhere... so the middle one is the brown... i dont even see the brown insulation cover... thanks for the clarification.

Whoever wired that is a danger to themselves & others. Also bear in mind that is a 23 Watt psu, so the most current it will draw is about 100 mA. In the event of a fault a 5 amp fuse will blow - eventually - but you'd be better off with a 3 amp or 1 amp fuse if you can find one

As I understand it, the fuse is there to protect the cable to the device, not the device itself.
In the UK, there are two standard fuse sizes for normal mains plugs, 3A and 13A.

What's special about the U.K. wiring is that the sockets are wired in a ring configuration. This means that the two installation cable ends of the ring are connected to each other at the feed point. There can be no fuses in front of the individual sockets, otherwise in the event of a breakdown all the following sockets in the ring would be without power. This forces to use fused power plugs.

The fuse in the power plug does not protect the connected device or its cable, but only the ring wiring in the building.

Nick Salis

What's special about the U.K. wiring is that the sockets are wired in a ring configuration.

This has generally been the case for some decades, particularly post WW2 but there is something of a move back to radial circuits for new installations.
I possibly watch too many electrician YouTube videos :ROFLMAO:

Thinking about this further I thinks it's legit to use any value fuse that meets meets the standard BD1362.
It maybe legit but don't mean its correct, a 13A UK BS1362 will protect most certified IEC cable shorts, unless cheapie china cable.
However I prefer to protect all my audio gear with accessible rear panel fuses at 2A antisurge (inductive TX surges) with a 3A IEC plug top fuse.
No life / property threats ever encounterted.
Whoever wired this or indeed enquired about this should really get some very basic electricians training
Yee gods.

At least the outer shroud is in the cable clamp. That's a major achievement!
Nothing should have a 13A fuse in a plug unless it's a kettle or a distribution strip.
Most individual bits of kit 3A or 5A. The fuse is meant to protect the device, not allow 13A to burn the thing up.

It maybe legit but don't mean its correct, a 13A UK BS1362 will protect most certified IEC cable shorts, unless cheapie china cable.
However I prefer to protect all my audio gear with accessible rear panel fuses at 2A antisurge (inductive TX surges) with a 3A IEC plug top fuse.
No life / property threats ever encounterted.
Whoever wired this or indeed enquired about this should really get some very basic electricians training
Yee gods.

Okay. I think there's maybe a misunderstanding here. I thought it clear that an inappropriately high current rating is not good. And that's for safety/fire reasons. For internal/back panel protection 20mm Glass fuse. Probably Anti-Surge type to allow for inrush current.

Thinking about this further I thinks it's legit to use any value fuse that meets meets the standard BD1362.
Fir further info see link below. I know it's from a commercial outfit rather than IET but Interposer are pretty good on this stuff.

https://www.interpower.com/ic/InfoPower/overcurrent-protection-and-uk-plug.html#:~:text=“UK plugs use BS 1362,requires a fused power plug.
Yes, you can use any fuse that meets BS, but the “Standard” ones are either 3 or 13A. See towards the bottom of this RS article..
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/content/discovery/ideas-and-advice/fuses-guide

And as that link confirms, the fuse is to protect the cable from plug to device, not the device itself.

Latest posts

Back