Looking for a Mic Preamp to test vintage mics (ELA M 251, U-47, U67, C12, C24, KM 63, 64, 84 etc.)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan K.

GDIY Supporter
Hi, I'm prepping to sell my vintage mic collection and only have a Nagra, 4.2 & 4S recorders to test their sound quality. Their preamps are OK, but a bit noisy, and their headphone amps are under-powered for my phones. So, I'm looking for a good quality preamp with P-48 and if possible, a built-in headphone amp. It can be almost any shape, size, used or new. It could have a separate headphone amp. Cheap is good! Suggestions welcomed too...

Thanks,
Ivan

Ivan
I am interested in the mics you are selling and I spent the last 20 plus years in Boulder though I no longer live there I’ll be back this month do you have an email address
Thanks
Todd

I have a Sound Devices USBPre and it is as clean and clear as I've heard. It has plenty of gain and headphone volume. It doesn't sound like a Neve (as in what I'd be looking for in a recording)... but it is a good representation of the mic itself. They're $100-$200 on the used market BUT only work with certain operating systems. I use it on Win XP.

Hi, I'm prepping to sell my vintage mic collection and only have a Nagra, 4.2 & 4S recorders to test their sound quality. Their preamps are OK, but a bit noisy, and their headphone amps are under-powered for my phones. So, I'm looking for a good quality preamp with P-48 and if possible, a built-in headphone amp. It can be almost any shape, size, used or new. It could have a separate headphone amp. Cheap is good! Suggestions welcomed too...

Thanks,
Ivan
Hello Ivan,
Focusrite ISA ONE can be an answer for your mics tests, at an affordable cost. ( 500€ in France)
It has also a headphone amp.
I have no experience with this unit.
Best,
Guy

Most modern usb interfaces actually have pretty decent clean preamps and headphone amps. E.g. the Focusrite range.
Thanks, I started cheap with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and will compare it to a friend's considerably more expensive mic pre.
Ivan
I am interested in the mics you are selling and I spent the last 20 plus years in Boulder though I no longer live there I’ll be back this month do you have an email address
Thanks
Todd
Yes, [email protected]-thanks for your interest. PS I wasn't trying to sell these mics on this forum--just asking for a recommendation.

...And the Focusrite headphone output impedance is claimed as <1 Ohm! I did notice that the preamps in this price range still use NE5532 opamps.

Freq. Resp. a bit limited, but good THD--see graphs

Attachments

• 20220401_204433.PDF
    1 MB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back