• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Marinair Lo1166 Wanted

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But from some reason , they not sound same

Could you please let us know why do you say that?

How have you tried that? how was it compared?
Can you specify all the details how an A/B comparison was performed?
Could you please send us the files so we can have a listen?

Thanks mate

I have setup where I can swap 8 transformers and listen One by ..
I will tell you from my experience. I made over 50 pcs for testing purpose. Nobody told me that.
1. I made same numbers of turns in 2 transformer. Frequency response will be different if you have not evenly distributed the number of windings per layer on booth transformer.
That is not night and day, but is visible, and for experienced listeners, I'm sure is audible.
If you make mono mic preamp, maybe not important, but if you work in stereo, better to be close.
2 transformers must be pretty similar wounded to have similar response..not identical, but similar.
That's why I told in my previous post : they not sound same.
Capacitance ? Maybe that's why you have better or worse frequency response
I honestly say what I experienced when I'm making transformers.
In this group you have guys who are GREAT and knows all theory in the world. I'm sure they will know answer.

How have you tried that? how was it compared?
I put group of 8 and swap transformers.
I have testing rhythm with deep bass, snare and hihat. Simple , but when arrangement is not busy, It is easier to hear differences...
I'm looking for deep in the bas, punch, looking for crisp in the snare, and and silk an level on the hihats ..
That is subjective, but let's be honest...everyone experiences music in different ways.
I'm listening on my trusty Pair of Genelec 1030a, I work with them 23 years.
There is much better monitoring out there, but I learned them for 23 years.
Converter is Apogee quartet.192/24
Preamp is AML73 ,just swap transformers...Al transformers have same conditions.
Nothing scientific, just trying to make closest to original Lo1166.
I will be happy that you have right and original Lo1166 is nothing special and have sound same mine. If you have right, I will send you one mine, I promise. 🤗.
You choose, black with black, black with silver, grey with black, or grey with silver combination. 😁😂

Anything neve is ridiculous $$$ and has been for a minute I think, I thought I was crazy when I bought one for $350 (I was). scarcity and being the most recognized vintage brand I guess?? $500 for a transformer is silly, hopefully nobody buys at that price so people have to come down. It always was curious to me how 1073 prices were increasing and API 312 seemed to not for a long time, both amazing pres, one is $1300 one is $7000 (with Eq I get it) but still
I think we have to accept that certain pieces of audio gear have crossed over from “tech equipment” to “musical instrument,” and will behave more like musical instruments on the secondary market

A original switch tip from a 1959 Les Paul is enormous money—massive money!—for a tiny piece of deteriorated celluloid with no integral function (and for which many more-than-capable reproductions can be had for pennies while being indistinguishable from original from a few inches away)

People make emotional connections with musical instruments, not just technical ones

And if the emotional connection is strong enough—if they feel like it will make their work better, more expressive, more distinctive, more inspired, more special—they will pay as handsomely as they can afford to

I think we have to accept that certain pieces of audio gear have crossed over from “tech equipment” to “musical instrument,” and will behave more like musical instruments on the secondary market

A original switch tip from a 1959 Les Paul is enormous money—massive money!—for a tiny piece of deteriorated celluloid with no integral function (and for which many more-than-capable reproductions can be had for pennies while being indistinguishable from original from a few inches away)

People make emotional connections with musical instruments, not just technical ones

And if the emotional connection is strong enough—if they feel like it will make their work better, more expressive, more distinctive, more inspired, more special—they will pay as handsomely as they can afford to
Yes, that is all truth, also, if they making money with music, they they think they deserve something special..and they will attract more customers...

Can anyone speak to the quality of source materials from the different decades? My understanding is the quality of minerals has changed as we have had to dig deeper or try harder to be extra efficient with use and formulations of alloys? Steel from today isn’t like steel from top 3 countries in the height of manufacturing quality. I’ve heard Germany, US and Japan were known for quality of steel.

How much do we think this has changed or effected the performance of said laminations and copper wires?

How much do we think this has changed or effected the performance of said laminations and copper wires?

I have no ideia, but there are amazing sounding records being released everyday at the present, much more than there ever was, so I guess whatever is the present day lamination and copper it works great for audio quality and for music

Why doesn't everyone that wants to complain about the prices or quality of vintage transformers go to a thread in the brewery and do it there, so we can ignore it? It's rude to clutter up KraftWerk's thread with it.

KraftWerk has been doing some awesome work with the Lo1166 in this thread

Why doesn't everyone that wants to complain about the prices or quality of vintage transformers go to a thread in the brewery and do it there, so we can ignore it? It's rude to clutter up KraftWerk's thread with it.

KraftWerk has been doing some awesome work with the Lo1166 in this thread
Thank man. I'm glad you think this way. I just posted in my original tread comparison of brand new Carnhil Lo1166 - vtb9049 and mine version.
Carnhil came today...I'm waitin for Marinair to come, for 10 days...

The only post cluttering the thread is yours because it has no relation whatsoever to the topic,
and serves no purpose, it's just nonsense noise.

Didn't see anyone complain about the prices or quality of vintage transformers around here.

But for sure I'm really interested in knowing why and how KraftWerk says the transformers sound different. In case thats true I'm also interested in knowing how different they sound and how marginal or not that might be.
KraftWerk explanation here is very vague and not objective at all of proving the transformers sound different. So I will follow the LO1166 thread with interest.

Latest posts

Back