Meaning of screw head dimples?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffbro

Can any of you machine-interested people tell me what the dimples on this Allen button head screw mean? Perhaps an alloy or hardness class signifier?

IMG_0080.jpg

It does look like some kind of custom fixing , you could check the hardness by trying to cut it with a junior hacksaw , if it puts up a fight , its hardened ,

Automotive is my guess , or petrol powered tool mower ,chainsaw , hedge trimmer etc .

Sometimes 'warranty screws' are dimpled, betting that the consumer won't remember to install it back into the same hole.

Some screw manufacturers label the metric thread with 4 dimples. Maybe that's the case here too.

1714929404123.png

Considering that I know several audiophiles who know far more about audio technology than some wannabee audio professionals, I wanted to give a thumbs down, but that's not possible here...

Cool, thanks. That explains the dimples I've seen so many times in Japanese equipment I've repaired.

However, trying to follow that lead hasn't given useful results yet, so still a mystery.

Cool, thanks. That explains the dimples I've seen so many times in Japanese equipment I've repaired.

However, trying to follow that lead hasn't given useful results yet, so still a mystery.

If you see dimples on a phillps head (esp on Japanese gear) it means the screw head is a JIS socket. If you see diagonal lines from the corners it tells you it’s a Pozidrive socket. If you do a lot of work on EU or Japanese origin gear it is well worth having a set of each type of driver as it will save you a lot of headache and screw heads! Standard phillips will not mate quite correctly

I haven’t often seen markings like that on button head hex socket screws, and the socket looks standard. Best bet is it’s either a meaningless manufacturer’s mark or id or it could simply be the “grade” of the bolt for strength. (Ie: grade 2, for basic plain steel, vs grade 8 or 9 for something needed to take a lot of stress)

Latest posts

Back