My first schematic.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks SO much to everybody.

I've printed out all of this...PRR's post on page 1 is a three page word document in 12 pt. font!

I'll be working the notes and starting a new schematic to post later today or tomorrow. I hope you're all still around, or I'm truly...screwed.

:razz:

Again, you're all saints.

kelly

> the schemo John Hardy has on his page (990.pdf, page 4 top)? I think that's what you need.

Yes, that is probably the simplest way to use an idle 990. And it does use Kelly's pot.

Note that it only aims for electrical gain of 54dB. Several problems are less acute if you shave the maximum gain.

Also note that he calls the use of fat caps and offset trimpots "traditional", and offers a different approach that avoids big caps (though a lot more pins to wire, and still needing a trim; perhaps more than a spare-time DIY-er wants to wrestle with).

> cause the entire universe to implode. ...look at... http://www.johnhardyco.com/pdf/MPC3000.pdf

Another sweet one-990 plan. Note that this one uses two gain-pots: a 10K for low-mid gain and a 500Ω for mid-high gain. I think John has an essay explaining this technique, good reading.

> Perhaps it is time for a new discrete op amp---how long has the 990 been around and about now?

We should work on the StratoCaster guitar first: it is a lot older.

Some things are dead before they reach market, and other things are timeless.

The 990 is not stuck in 1979: wise men continue to work with it and judiciously modify it. See the thread where several 990 gurus jumped in with some straight dope and a few hard-won hints.

Within its intended purposes, what is wrong with the 990? It is a crummy condenser-mike head-amp, and not good on batteries. Neither was part of the goal. There is a wide array of low-med-Z some-gain wall-powered applications where the 990 fits fine.

And people who are surely capable of working up a new design keep fiddling with the 990. Apparently they think it is still a darn-good plan, and better than any other they can come up with. Certainly others have designed very different amps and done well, but the 990 seems to hold its head up very well in the best crowds.

Personally, I was away from fancy audio for decades, and was quite astonished to learn that the 990 is still a leading-edge amp. I knew it was good. When I thought about it, I realized it was roughly unbeatable (in its niche). But a lot of good designs fall by the roadside over the years. Parts-supply, winds of fashion, economics. Jelly-bean chips with some of the 990's virtue at 1/100th the price. Nobody is getting rich making 990s (more profit in box and knobs than soldering 394s to a board), but it hasn't gone away and shows no sign of retiring.

If I were thinking of a "new amp module", I'd target the 5534/5532. It is very fine in its way, though some say recent production is not up to the old stuff. The world is FULL of 5532 sockets. If you can convince a wee fraction of those folks to pay, say, $25 to replace a $0.50 chip, with promise of adequate Class-AB current and low-low offset, there might be a self-supporting hobby in it.

> Maybe a hybrid in a very tall DIP? Could be, could be...

Think 990-class but SMT and less beastly output drive. Five dual-transistors, or there may be SMT quad-paks that would work. I have another very different topology in mind, though if done very-right it does not make a heap of difference.

Yeah, maybe an inch tall. Two boards each with a SIP-4 pin-strip on the bottom, and two jumpers between boards for power and to hold it together.

And a good 0.1uFd cap across the rails. 5532 is fast enough to need it, and a lot of systems are skimpy that way.

A package like that would fit many but not all systems. And it would be sure to shake loose in shipping.... fixed studio use only. Or you can slip a TyWrap under some sockets.

50mA peak output current is plenty: no 75Ω loads on the 5532 horizon. Cheap SMT parts can be had in 60V rating, no problem. Zetex and others make really high Beta, and in PNP as well (avoiding some of the 5532's mainly-NPN complexity). Probably some of the duals are effectively "matched" by fabrication even if not rated for matching.

Teeny-weeny SMT inductances are available. I don't know the status of that or any related patents. While the coil-trick is good, the real sweat/brilliance is that complex compensation, which gives around 9dB/8ve slope over a decade or so. That lets gain stay high through the audio band, then kills it before stray poles accumulate above a dozen MHz. The compensation could be a quarter of the total board space.

Hybrid? You mean, semi-custom IC? Who's got the $20K setup fee? Layout and proof a board, send it out to China, they can stick SMT on PCB at a low-low-low piece rate. (Though getting some foreign factory manager to use the sonically-RIGHT parts/vendors may be a problem...)

Hybrid meaning combo of ICs (dual transistors or arrays, or possibly ancillary teeny op amps/OTAs etc) and discrete SMD. No, I couldn't fund (or at least could find a better use for that kind of money) a semi-custom, and I wouldn't want to be limited to anybody-that-I-know's particular cells/process anyway ;-).

I've been around the block a bit in China (they have manufactured many millions of units of my designs), happily never having to actually go there, and I agree: cheap but difficult to ensure compliance with the recipe. They are catching on fast though.

so when do we get to see a scheme for this guy?!

I've gone nutso with the PCB layout lately, I have two boards out for fabrication, and another that I'm finishing up layout on, and this one sounds like a fun challenge :)

Good gawd y'all that's a long and illuminating thread on the 990 to which you referred me PRR!! Now I know why I was summoned from slumber at 4AM---had I attempted to read it during the day I'd have lost continuity.

Now that I see the dawn it's back to the coffin for a few more Z's, until the bl**dy phone starts to ring with offers for subscriptions to Modern Ferret and the like.

tmbg: Good question! After reading about the "spineless lurkers" in the 990 thread, I don't know ;-)

Latest posts

Back