My new ribbon mic pic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

too much for this little mortal soul,
YES I'm a JEALOUS guy!!!

how much are the costs for this gem?
If it already outperforms the EV i'm curious too find out how this will hold up to a Royer or alike...

keep us posted please, great work and super looks!
what did you use for the grille?

OK, that?s time to reveal some things. I had this idea quite for awhile, but because I was still experimenting, I did not want to post it--this mic is a double ribbon, in which the rear one is right behind the front. Since it involves acoustical resistance, time delay, phase shift, mass of the air trapped between ribbons, etc., distance between ribbons is very critical. Experimentally, I found the ?optimal? one, with good balance between top range (which is more extended, compare to single ribbon with the same baffle size) and bottom (which goes away with even slight (about 0.2 mm) distance increase between ribbons). That's what you've heard in the samples in another thread. Proximity effect is noticeably lower than single ribbon.

An interesting thing?I discovered that when both ribbons are not tuned exactly ?in unison? there are kinds of vibrations (like two same strings in piano, or guitar, when slightly off), which noticeably affect the sound in low mids. It is extremely hard to tune both of ribbons to exactly the same frequency. Unlike single ribbon, even slightly higher tuning resonance results in bass loss. This effect is much less noticeable, when the rear ribbon is ?way off,? but then obviously, the rear side sounds very different, but it does not noticeably affects the front one.

Yes, this mic probably sounds nice, but for now I put it away for some time to see if something comes on me?.

If you guys have any suggestions?as always, welcome.

Oh yeah, a new mic is coming soon.

Decided to spill the beans finally, eh? :thumb:

I still want to build me one of these, because I thought it sounded so good with my voice. Oh well, I guess we'll see if something can be done about the ribbon tensioning issue. I'm sure other forumers will come up with ideas.

And I'm sure there are other mic designs that will suit my voice well.

Or I can always try my hand at a single-ribbon mic.

I now you've mentally moved on to the next mic but...couldn't the double frame be something like this:

double_ribbon_array.gif

PDF: http://www.lichthaus.com/diy/double_ribbon_array.pdf

This mic does kick ass. Crazy output, very smooth (regardless of the ribbon interplay).

-james

[quote author="lictme"]I now you've mentally moved on to the next mic but...couldn't the double frame be something like this:

PDF: http://www.lichthaus.com/diy/double_ribbon_array.pdf

-james[/quote]

James,

Thanks. It is a very good idea, and yes, I was thinking about it, but dropped for awhile... because the easiest way to check it out would be to stack together two single ribbon assemblies. As you have noticed, mentally I am already in the next project, but eventually I will try this one.

[quote author="ward"][quote author="kent"]Sweet! I mean, COOL!

How's about a "how to"

:thumb:
kent[/quote]

I totally agree !! :grin:
Keith send me some magnets (THANKS KEITH !)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=5518025425
I need a project for them :roll:
[/url][/quote]

Oh no Ward,

Not these magnets. Pay attention--they are polaraized on small 1/4"x1/4" ends. You don't want that!

On a second look, the picture is luckily not what I have.
Mine stick together on their long sides, not with the 1/4" sides. That's what you mean, right ?

Hi Marik, do you have more pictures? Particularly of the construction of the microphone body, the mesh and the connection between the mesh and microphone body.

How did you bend the mesh for the top? How is it secured into the brass/copper rim?

Latest posts

Back