noob with a couple questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is reverb a DIY option?
...I've seen articles on DIY plate reverbs. Not much electronics involved really but could be fun if you have a spare closet :)

It looks like no one noticed the ROUND plate reverb in the second pic of my workshop in the workbench thread. Unfortunately, it SOUNDS LIKE SHIT! So now, it is a weird sculpture in my apartment.

I built three different plate reverbs, and as I got better at building them, they sounded WORSE. I think I was thinking too hard. The first was a piece of scrap sheetmetal with a shitty 2 x 4 frame. Sounded amazing! The second was a better, larger frame with a thicker plate. That one sounded worse. The third one is the round one, which seemed sensible to me -- like a gong. Well, since the frame is a heavy metal pipe bent into two half circles and welded, it vibrates like mad, right along with the plate, and the hardware, etc. It sounds pretty bad. I even filled up the frame with expandable foam, which was a stupid idea -- I should have used sand or something. Anyway, now it's a sculpture.

My lesson learned -- use a VERY THIN plate!

Thanks, Trock, for posting the pics of the Avalon, and welcome to the Lab!

Latest posts

Back